New version of KiCAD, many broken 3D models

Just updated KiCAD on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. For an existing project, schematic and board look OK, but the 3D view has lots of little problems.

• Diodes_SMD.3dshapes/D_SMB_Standard.wrl is gone.

• TO_SOT_Packages_SMD.3dshapes/TO-263-3Lead.wrl is gone

• TO_SOT_Packages_SMD.3dshapes/SOT-353.wrl is gone.

• Pin_Headers.3dshapes/Pin_Header_Straight_1x02_Pitch2.54mm.wrl turned 90 degrees.

Progress, though; capacitors which used to have to be scaled down by 1/2.54 are fixed.

This discourages publishing KiCAD files on GitHub. People complain they’re broken because they’re using a newer version of KiCAD. I really hate having to change a design after it’s gone to fab.

Version info:

Application: kicad
Version: 4.0.7-e2-6376~58~ubuntu16.04.1 release build
wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1009,GCC 5.4.0,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Platform: Linux 4.4.0-96-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Boost version: 1.58.0
Curl version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2g zlib/1.2.8 libidn/1.32 librtmp/2.3
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON

1 Like

This was expected when we decided to update the lib with the release.
But our hands are a bit forced by the github plugin for footprints. If we do not update 3d models the footprint/3d model libs will get out of sync. (Which will create problems for new projects created with new footprints users get via the github plugin. The github plugin is the default option after all.)
Now the question is do we allow to break old projects or do we allow to break all new projects created with kicad. None of the two options seems satisfactory to me.

For publishing stuff i would suggest you take note of what version of the lib you used to create the project. Make sure you do not use the github plugin footprint lib but use the lib download script to download a specific release/tag of the footprint libs. Also make sure your symbol and 3d model lib is at the same release/tag…
For all other libs just clone the repo in question and checkout the same tag as you did for the footprint lib.

This is why we lib maintainers are campaigning to get a release system for libs. (A system where users have control over when to update that also ensures all types of libs stay in sync at all times.)

How to fix your problem?
Well clone the kicad-library repo, point the KISYS3DMOD variable to the modules/packages3d directory within this repo and checkout the 4.0.6 tag while viewing an old project and switch to the 4.0.7 tag when viewing a new project. (or disable the github plugin and stay at 4.0.6 for the footprints as well then you do not need to switch between the two releases.)
Another option (without using git) is to download the 4.0.6 release as zip and switch using the KISYS3DMOD variable. (Have both releases on disk and change the path variable depending on which project you are currently using.)

4 Likes

For a God’s sake. KiCAD is a PCB tool not a 3D modeling software. The schematic and PCB were OK? So, what is the problem when 3D presentation is completely unnecessary to made a board by fab…

That’s too confusing to explain to users. I have trouble getting radio ham types to download KiCAD at all. But at least it only breaks the 3D view, not the board. Anyway, I updated the Github version. Thanks.

Will this break again in the near future?

Things are getting updated and improved yes.
Alot of the stuff I have done has been to settle on the 1 1 1 scale instead of the stupid 0.3937 scaling.
I think almost all the “common” component (except for Inductors) has been replaced with new Mechanical compatible models, so they are not gonna break anything soon

1 Like

Libraries has changed a lot during KiCad life cycle, not only 3D models but also schematic and footprints.
But the process is giving a better library base and all previous schematic libs and footprints are saved inside the project.
For 3D models in case of a GitHub repo, I would suggest you to make them portable as in this project

In case of a complete industrial project, 3D mechanical models are not unnecessary… They are the base to create an enclosure for the product… so I consider useful to have a local repo also of the 3D models.

I also don’t like to have to check footprint and libraries each time there is a new release, but this is a cost to pay for improvements in your libraries.
You can always have a personal repo freezed, and update only what you consider useful for your product/project.

Maurice

2 Likes