New track start position problem on kicad 7.0.10-rc1?

Not sure whether this is a new bug so asking first in here.
I am seeing a lot of this type of problems shown on picture with my new project when using the latest Kicad build from origin 7.0 branch. (7.10-rc1 commit 1fdf7d0cf4)

So basically when I put the mouse over some pin and press X to start routing, it often selects incorrect start position for the track or selects even 2 pins.

I am also seeing the same happening with the header pins (2.54 mm clearance) where the press of X to start the trace selects area between 2 pads.
Then I somehow usually get it working by trying multiple times to move the mouse to little different locations. (Sometimes I also try to change the resolution from 100 mills to lover like 25 mills) I am using the default track width 9.8 mills and clearance of 7.8 mills for most of my traces, except some power traces which have 12 mills track width.

I do not remember seeing this type with couple of months older kicad 7 branch builds.

Please attach an archive of the project showing this problem. There doesn’t seem to be a problem affecting all designs.

The project causing the problems for me is attached. Just tested that if I put mouse over U3 pin 2 and press X, both pin1 and pin2 goes green.

alexa_echo_dot_g2_i2s.tar.bz2 (2.1 MB)

Unfortunately I can’t reproduce that. It seems to work fine for me on 7.0.10-rc1. I can get both the pads to highlight only if I place the cursor right between the pad 1 and 2:

If I have the mouse cursor over one of the pads instead of between them, the drawing cursor snaps to the center of the pad and it works fine

Looking at your original screenshot, it looks like the situation is the same: the drawing cursor is in-between the two pads. You can try making your grid smaller to try to avoid this, but even with the same grid settings as you, I don’t have much trouble picking one of the pads.

Testing a few things, it looks like sometime around 7.0.1, the snapping changed from pad clearance to just the pad itself. This was likely unintentional and we’ll fix this for v8 and 7.0.11

For me it happens, even if I zoom the pcb so that only 3 pads are visible, then move the mouse over the middle of second pad and press X. Routing to same pin from another direction worked ok and it selected the correct pin in the end.

I am using Linux with Gnome version X11 desktop. Some lib versions:

• gnome 44
  • python3-wxpython4-4.2
  • wxgtk3.0-3

Attached another pic when I pressed X while zoomed to pin:

Now when I changed the grid settings to 5 mills, it worked ok and after that it worked also when I switched to 25 mills after that.

I really would like to keep the grid in constant 50 or 100 mills most of the time as it makes it easier to align most typical components like resistors and caps to same level with each others. So if you have patch coming for 7.0.11, I can try to test it out as I usually build Kicad by myself from sources.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.