New subscriber totally clueless

Hi everyone. This is a totally new endeavor for me. My circuit background is limited to electrical understanding but no electronics. I do understand the functions of caps, resistors, diodes in a very rudimentary sense.
I’ve designed a small simple circuit with hookup header and small plug outs for a project with a tiny switchover relay.
I have been using Cad-Cam programs forever but new to PCB design. It’s a whole new rabbit hole…
I have a design with pin locations and general layout in aCAD DWG DXF files. I am under time constraints on this particular project. I am unable to find my relay in any libraries to date.
Can anyone tell me how I would proceed getting it designed in the proper format to submit it to a PCB manufacturer without the learning curve. I do want to learn but not on this particular project…?

I highly recommend watching some of the Contextual Electronics videos by Chris Gammell:

https://www.youtube.com/user/contextualelectronic/videos

These videos start at the basics and go from there, they are a really great way to get started with Kicad.

Download and install KiCAD. I would get Version 4.0.7, the current “Stable Release”. It is better documented, and will more closely match any tutorials you have, than the Version 5.0.0 Release Candidate versions that are available.

Yes, find a tutorial - either a video, or a text document - that matches your current knowledge level, and learning style. At least, skim through it.

Your first step will be to draw your circuit’s schematic in KiCAD’s “EESchema”. While it IS possible to skip this step, especially with a circuit having only a handful of components, that would violate the assumptions for how KiCAD was designed to operate. Stay on the well-worn path rather than striking off through the brush - it may not seem like the most direct route, but it will get you to the destination with less chance of injury.

Can you identify your relay with a model number, data sheet, or catalog page? A suitable symbol probably exists, and if its footprint isn’t already in the standard library, there may be a usable substitute. Or, a Forum member may have a footprint in a private library.

As you work, don’t be afraid to post screen shots and ask questions. “Initiative” is a highly admired trait on the Forum, and questions in the format “Here’s my problem and here’s what I’ve done to find a solution” get better responses than “Tell me what the solution is.”.

“Gerber files” are the de facto “standard” for communicating board designs to PCB manufacturers. Producing Gerber files from within KiCAD seems a bit intimidating at first but isn’t difficult. The Forum can answer your questions.

Is this for a school assignment? Find out if your instructor’s car needs a good wash and wax job, just in case you need a fall-back plan.

Dale

1 Like

Hi Dale.
Thank you.
I had to chuckle at your cool writing style. I’ll follow your advice.
Dave.

Well. I hunted down the part number but it evidently doesn’t exist because I’ll be danged if I can find it in any library.
Maybe because I’m new and don’t understand the nuances of searching electronic components or the manufacturer made up some arbitrary number…frustration has a firm grip on me now.
Is there someone out there interested in a side job?
While I’d love to learn, I’m behind on a contract job and burned all the time I had. Time to bring in an expert.
Anyone interested?

Post the number you have, and/or any photos, data sheets, etc.

A component manufacturer may assign a unique number to a part if it is associated with some special requirement - different ratings, tighter tolerances, different color, etc. Usually the footprint is the same as one of his standard catalog parts. If you have a dimensioned drawing of the part I’ll wager a symbol and footprint can be cranked out in an hour or so.

Dale

I’m quite versed in AutoCAD. I drew the footprints from measurements I took with a digital calipers including pin sizes.
The circuit is merely a spdt tiny relay the size of of a sugar cube with 5 pins.
The rest of the circuit is traces to the power inlet header (6 pi) and (2) 2pin tiny plugins, each hooked to the common side of the relay and a trace from each active pole of the relay to each plug.
The function of this circuit is to isolate the 12vdc signal that activates the relay and gives the option of no or nc continuity to the plug(s).

David, I have sent you a private message.

Pedro.
I had someone respond just before you. I’ll have to see how he does but I will have more going on in the future.
If you give me your email I can put you in my contacts file I will reach out to you first next round.
Here’s mine.
Neuxstone@aol.com.
Thanks. Dave.

This topic was automatically closed 29 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.