New part libraries for V6.00?

I installed V6.00 some time ago, if I understand correctly that is still the current stable release (candidate?). But, what about libraries, are they still the same, or is there something newer or better. I wish some 3D models, but I am happy to try any new libraries there is. And ofcourse, where are the Brand new shining libraries.

This is my KiCad
Application: KiCad (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Dec 24 2021 19:17:02
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I will respond with the little that I know on the subject. Maybe my ignorant response will help you to get a better answer. I have been using 5.99 > 6.0 for quite a while.

I do not get the idea that the libraries get nearly as much focused effort as the software itself. Like many KiCad users, I like to use my own libraries. But mine are “bare bones” without 3D and without even courtyards. I think that some companies such as DigiKey provide some libraries. I am unsure as to who provided the existing KiCad libraries but I think the older ones convert OK from 5.1X to 6.0. Maybe my input will help a “skoch”.

Yes, it is easy to agree with you. I too use Digikey’s or Mouser’s part libraries, or directly from the two companies who make them.
And sure, KiCad is a PCB tool (allthough I have seen better), and 3D is not necessary for PCBs but I have now watched a couple of 3D pictures of machine and PCB boards, and I like them. Besides, I know a mechanics designer who has a 3D CAD.
But what I understand, is that people keep updating KiCad’s official library, and I would like to update mine.

I think if you look at the official Gitlab repo history, the libraries don’t get updated as often as the program sources. Here for example are the histories of the symbols, footprints and packages3D repos:

When a release is made, the current state is tagged and the contents at that point become the packages that are distributed and have the same version as the software.

Edit: It seems there are some submissions that are yet to be reviewed, e.g. for the 3D models:

If you want to keep really up to date, you could clone the repos and then point your library table to them. You would then have to do regular pulls to bring you copy up to date. But I think the changes are not often.

A similar story for third-party libraries that are kept in a Git repo.

Thank you. Atleast I got the links now. I don’t think I am going to use the Git hub or whatever, but I can check the links.

Edit: I am not sure I understand those Git X things, but I’ll check them later. Yes, October 2021 and so on. Not very frequent updates.

I quess my question now is, where is the actual link to the libraries.
Regards
LM

There are not many librarians… one of those FOS problems, volunteers are not easy to find.

For the purchase price of Kicad? :slightly_smiling_face:

Follow the link to Repository > Files and you will find the button to download or clone. But unless you like downloading packages of hundreds of MB everytime you update, it’s far better to make a clone on your own filesystem the first time, then you can update incrementally with pulls.

Hah. There is that of course, and one reason I am here.

retiredfeline
This is interesting. I’ll try this some day. Thank you. Do I need yet one more user account, I have too many of those already.

Sorry about that comment… sometimes the the fingers just don’t listen to the brain :blush:

No, you don’t have to create an account at Gitlab to use public projects and KiCad is public. Ditto for Github. But you need an account to participate in the project, including reporting issues.

1 Like

I can’t see any problems in your comments.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.