New KiCad 8 BOM generator feedback

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this, but regarding the new BOM generator in KiCad 8, I have some feedback.

While CSV/TSV format BOMs are helpful for processing with other tools, it would be really helpful if KiCad could produce a useful, human readable BOM too.

There is ODF format which could produce a spreadsheet BOM that is readable. A simple text BOM using tabs/spaces would be nice too. The TSV export is almost there, but needs some better formatting such as splitting references over multiple lines so they don’t get too long, and then aligning everything column wise.

Another feature I added to my own pre-V8 BOM generator is to simplify footprints. For example, Resistor_SMD:R_0805_2012Metric_Pad1.20x1.40mm_HandSolder becomes 2012 (or 2012 (0805 imp) if you are providing both metric and imperial units). That makes them much more readable.

Some of this stuff would be best implemented in KiCad itself, but some of it sounds like it could do with some scripting or limited programmability. My own software used a set of footprint conversions in a simple text file.

One other minor thing. The BOM file name should be project specific, it seems to be global at the moment. Ideally generated from the project name + " BOM".

Another feature I added to my own pre-V8 BOM generator is to simplify footprints. For example, Resistor_SMD:R_0805_2012Metric_Pad1.20x1.40mm_HandSolder becomes 2012

For the same purpose I add a extra field in the footprint definition to every created footprint (in the footprint editor). One field named “FP” and set to the simplified name. With “update schematic from board” these custom fields are transferred to the schematic side and are available for saving into the BOM file (as replacement for the standard library:footprint string).

Note: this method is currently not ready for production use because of gitlab issue Update FP from library: ignores content of custom fields (#17935) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

One other minor thing. The BOM file name should be project specific, it seems to be global at the moment. Ideally generated from the project name + " BOM".

This feature was already added to the current development version v8.99. You may play with this feature if you download and install the latest “nightly” builds for your operating system. Don’t be too disappointed, the substring “BOM” was not added to the filename.
Not sure if this feature will be backported to the current stable v8 version, as this probably needs a change (addition) in the project file.
for information: BOM export path common to all projects (#17567) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

1 Like

Thanks mf_ibfeew. Maybe the “short footprint name” could be standardized for library parts. I suppose it would have to be dual metric/imperial, but even then it would be far better. Or even just an option to remove the library name from the footprint field would help.