New icons in nightly

You are right. It seems I missed it so thank you for mentioning it. It is indeed a major point.

By the way, since I am not talented in graphic design, ‘my’ icons would be just colored squares (each having two colors only) on which a 2 or 3 capital letter acronyms are added to show, as possible, their function; like ‘PCB’, ‘SCH’, ‘GBR’ … etc. But if this will be done, it will be just a personal set of icons :smiley: [Edit: I mean no one will likely be interested in]

I like the new icons a lot ! Thanks devs.
I just have a minor comment.
The “Update Footprints from Library” looks too similar to Refresh (F5).

What would you think of adding some (green?) color to the arrows for the Update FP from library icon, to make them more distinguishable? Or a ‘library’ symbol inside the arrows, like the “blue book” you see when you click Manage FP libraries.

The same comment applies on eeschema, Update Symbols from Library vs Refresh.

Also, is there a way to add this “Update from Library” icons to the toolbar? I only see “Update from PCB”.

I think the focus right now should be on getting v6 out as soon as possible and I would suggest to not add additional work for something as low priority as changing icons. There are so many other more important things to worry about…

If you really want it changed, you could submit a merge request but you should do it in the knowledge that the merge request might not be accepted. Also please note that reviewing merge requests still takes time and effort from the lead developers that could be better spent on fixing critical bugs, so even then I would say to wait until v6 is out and things have calmed down a bit before submitting merge requests for different icons.

See the discussion in this issue for more details on the current position that the lead devs are taking: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/8414. Quoting from that discussion:

I understand that no one wants to hear “no” to their ideas, especially if they have worked on them for a while. The problem is that icons are generally targets for bikeshedding and take time away from getting other work done. We’ve devoted a substantial amount of time to fine-tuning these already, so if there are going to be changes at this point, we need to see exactly the change being proposed and the proposer needs to be OK with hearing “no”.

2 Likes

Are the icons already frozen for v6?
I’m working on some Kicad-cheatsheets/ handouts for workshops and it would be nice to know if it i already save to integrate kicad v6 graphics…

I would be very surprised if they change at this point.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.