New icons in nightly

allow me to bring up the annotate icon again:

currently: image

as per discussion above: png annotate(4) svg annotate

2 Likes

Yes, and maybe “R?” centralized instead of “R ?” left aligned. This appear more like the part when are placed.

Note: I like of the “42 easter eagle” :slight_smile:

The idea with the alignment of “R” and “?” was to draw the focus on the difference “?” -> “42”, which in my opinion is the central story of “annotate”. The spacing between “R” and “42” is also deliberate to guide the focus away from the prefix. Maybe that doesn’t work everybody. Concerning “looks more like the part as-placed” one could counter that the part in the symbol already is a more abstract representation, with field texts outside the symbol itself, which puts it up for debate :slight_smile:

It may be a minor factor with so few letters, but I feel that it helps. To illustrate how alignment helps with discerning differences, consider this example:

compare the time it takes to spot the deviations in the 6th character.

1 Like

Everyone who doesn’t like the red “warning signs” (see New icons in nightly above):

I filed an issue for this, https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/7296. Please comment and/or upvote.

2 Likes

Dark icon theme has been integrated and is available on GTK builds (Linux). See https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/3923#note_528717181.

See also https://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-developers@lists.launchpad.net/msg39375.html if you want to know where the icons are – apparently @craftyjon implemented a new icon loading system with external files. It should be possible to share icon sets now or easily test modified icons.

1 Like

The icons now seem to reside in a separate resources file, namely:
KiCad/share/kicad/resources/images.tar.gz

So this probably gives some possibility for easy distribution of alternative icon sets.

What that would mean? Kicad themes, baby :wink:

Hmmm,
maybe write a script so I have a different Coccinella Magnifica for the DRC check each day.

2 Likes

If anything could convince me to skip a version of Kicad, it would be a dark or inverted color theme, white text on a black or dark background. I very much dislike this inversion of dark and light.
I prefer working with black text on a white background because I grew writing black or blue pen or pencil marks on white paper. And my preference is the same to this day.

good job it is optional

The editor theme itself is configurable now and won’t be changing from what we have now in 5.99 which is slightly different from 5.1.
The icon theme for dark/light mode can be turned on/off but is also tied to your operating system supporting dark and light mode. Linux (GTK) and macOS support it and will get the enhancement. Windows does not support dark mode for Win32 apps unforunately.

I was planning on turning icon theme selection on for Windows anyway for people using high contrast mode or customizing their win32 color theme, I just need to test if that has any issues. KiCad just won’t be able to respond to the Windows 10 “dark mode” option which is unavailable to win32 apps as Mark says

Ah yes you can detect high constrast mode and it does change the theme.

But generally there’s a third theme of icons for that mode in Microsoft land (even simpler icons)

I don’t plan on going down that road. Dark mode icons will be better than nothing.

What you don’t want to match the purple? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the problem btw

High contrast mode in Windows 10 has 4 options…

Not a problem. We detect based on how bright the window background color is, not based on whether or not a HC theme is selected.

KiCad itself doesn’t have any function for customizing the color theme of the GUI. This is done by the operating system / window manager. All that KiCad has now is two sets of icons, so that users who set an inverted theme in their OS can actually see the icons.

1 Like

@craftyjon,
Well that is good to know. I see from my windows manager kwin in KDE Plasma v.5.14.5 ( K=>Settings…System Settings…Work Space Theme …Look and Feel ) that there are indeed four different color themes:

• Breeze

• Breeze Dark

• Solydk Dark, and

• SolydK ( the default which I use)

There are even more variations under Window Decorations
( K=>Settings…System Settings…Application Style…Window Decorations )

• Breeze

• Inspiration Light (the one I have chosen),

• Plastik, or

• Get New Decorations

If only I could wrap my head around half this “window decorations” stuff! Oh well, I didn’t try to port the NeXTSTEP GUI to x86 architecture, so I just gotta choose from what remains.

The “Show icons in menus” are not implement or not force the GTK definitions?