New flat sheets show up new projects and only one .sch is listed in left section

I created a top level schematic then added three new flat sheets. I saved them one by one and the new .sch files were visible on the left side added to the main project as desired. When I did an “append schematic from another schematic” into one of the new sheets it accepted the append but when I saved it the schematic disappeared from the list on the left side. When I saved the other sheets after that they also now have disappeared from the list on the left even though they are all still visible in the folder on disc and everything seems to be there and working. I’m afraid to continue with this project because the new schematic sheets (.sch) do not show up on the left side as they should. Also, I see three new projects were created inside the original folder. KiCAd created three new projects rather than just three new sheets in the original project. What have I done wrong or is this a bug?

When I open the main project I only see one .sch listed on the left side but the sheet has all three new sheets on it that all work fine and show up on the hierarchy drop down. The schematic I appended to one of the sheets shows up fine. Why are the new sheets not visible on the left side and why were new projects created?

Please read chapter 7 of the Eeschema manual.
Eeschema / Help / Eeschema manual F1]

Very short:
Just Ignore what you see in the project manager. It is not very well thought out. The only really important thing it does is to keep schematic and PCB of a project together. If you start Eeschema or Pcbnew directly from your OS they work in “standalone mode” wich is not suited for normal projects.

Sorry, I sidetracked.

Normal workflow is to have a main schematic in your project, and all other sheets in the hierarchy are created from within Eeschema, and not in the project manager. You can enter a sub sheet by double clicking on it, and go back with the [RMB] and select “leave sheet” in the popup menu.

Also read the part of the manual of the 3 different labels: Local, Global and Hierarchical. The differences are very important and useful for Hierarchical sheets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.