New email server (2023)

We’re sending “transactional” emails (summaries, notifications, DMs, etc) from a new domain. You will see this coming from “noreply@mail.forum.kicad.info” from now on. You should still be able to respond to emails if you’d like to reply directly from your email client. If you do that, it’s always good to remove any kind of signature from your response.

Apologies for the outage window while this was implemented.

If you see any problems…or more importantly, if you don’t see any emails at all…please let us know here.

1 Like

For the next time, it would be nice to make an announcement before scheduled maintenance happens.

1 Like

Got withdrawal symptoms already? :grin:

I was utterly bored for a bunch of hours, if I new it in advance I could have slept through it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Server changes rarely go as planned. Oh, just click this button? Yeah, that’ll work just fine. :wink:

If and when things ever go according to scheduled, I will be sure to do that :wink:

There is a button to do updates on the backend that has literally never worked for me. It’s gotta be operator error or something.

I will try to reduce downtime though! I’m hopeful that this latest update should have us set for a while.

1 Like

I set up a Discourse instance for testing. I’m now thinking of doing one for a website but you have me second guessing it. :wink:

Happy to chat about it if you need a reference point. I run two discourse servers (forum.KiCad.info, forum.contextualelectronics.com) and run one for my dayjob. For that one I ended up paying discoursehosting.org. I think switchign to a hosted version would be cost prohibitive given the size of KiCad.info, but I kiiiiind of wish I would have paid for hosting back in the day. Many stressful nights and swearing about docker :smiley: People that understand docker and devops generally will have a better time than I did (i’m getting a little better). The genesis of this post:

I tried replying to an email (to respond to a post), that didn’t seem to come through. Can someone else try out that feature?

I have received no emails from kicad in the last 3 days. However, I wasn’t expecting to. My kicad forum settings under email are:
Email me when I am sent a personal message
always
Email me when I am quoted, replied to, my @username is mentioned, or when there is new activity in my watched categories, tags or topics
only when away
**We’ll only email you if we haven’t seen you in the last 10 minutes.

Include previous replies at the bottom of emails
never

Include an excerpt of replied to post in emails
Activity Summary
When I don’t visit here, send me an email summary of popular topics and replies
weekly

Mailing list mode
Enable mailing list mode

My lack of email seems compliant with the the last checkbox, “Enable mailing list mode”, which I left unchecked.

I simply haven’t posted to the forum in the last 3 days, so I don’t expect to see any emails alerting me by email to forum replies to my posts.
Also, I did not “Enable notifications” until after writing this post. Then, I clicked it.
From my perspective, everything is fine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.