New EEschema symbol library management - what a mess!

[quote=“c4757p, post:20, topic:9123”]
. . . . Titling the thread “what a mess” probably wasn’t the best start though, to be honest. [/quote]
Yeah, my mother used to look at my room (or, worse yet, my corner of the basement) and declare “This place is a MESS!!”

And on days when I felt brave I’d reply, “This mess is a PLACE!”.

Dale

Advising people to go into the registry and start deleting stuff is a REALLY REALLY BAD idea.

Environment variables can and should be changed via the Control Panel.

1 Like

@bobc, I was not aware they could be controlled from there, learning something new. Can you point everybody to how to get there?Just launching the control panel does not leave much clues…

(Editing the registry is not that risky if proper precautions are taken. One will find lots of Microsoft help that involves making such changes. Edit: May be I have gotten too used to deal with it, I could see novice users could mess things up if they were not sure about what they were doing. )

Start->Control Panel->System and Security->System->Advanced system settings->Environment Variables

1 Like

Thanks, @MitjaN, then users rather should use the control panel way to get rid of the environment variables installed by KiCad by accident than the registry entry edit I pointed to. (I added a note in the original post).

Also

Start->(right-click)Computer->Properties->Advanced System Settings->Environment Variables

1 Like

Seriously? Google it. You don’t know basic computer maintenance but advise people to edit the registry instead?

Ok, so tell us what those precautions are…! Editing the registry is always risky, and should only be done for specific and necessary changes. Your advice was wrong, unnecessary as well as dangerous.

Let’s look at a typical Microsoft example:

This article is intended for advanced users, administrators, and IT Professionals.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

You obviously lack knowledge to give proper advice, I am seriously asking you to take a step back. It’s not just wrong advice, but dangerous. Please just STOP with bad advice!

Thanks @1.21Gigawatts, that is also very helpful, I have added a pointer to it in the edit of my original post.

That’s rather ironic coming from you :slight_smile:

What snowflake got offended by the word “mess” in the title of my post? If I want to convey to others that when you try to open a schematic with several several hundred symbols and all of them turn into squares with question marks - is a mess, I will jolly well do that! If you don’t like it, feel free to delete the name of the thread, to lock the thread or delete the post altogether but don’t add anything to that which was written by me. I appreciate your creativity, but do so under your own name!

1 Like