Net Labels not connecting?

Can not see why net labels are being ignored? This is my first schematic capture in KiCad so most likely something silly on my end. Net label appear to be very straight forward providing they appear on the same sheet which they do here. I only have one sheet at this stage anyway.

I have generated a net list and imported into PCBnew and the nets are definitely not connected so the eeschema DRC is correct.

The DRC error report reads for example the MISO error;
“ErrType2: Pin not connected and no connection found on this pin”
“Pin 3 (passive) of component J4 is unconnected.”

All I have done is place a wire on the connections I want to connect together and placed the net label above those wires.

Can anyone shine some light on what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers…

!

Found the issue, so I will post for any other newbie in the same position. When you generate a net label there is a square box to the bottom right of the label, this label needs to be positioned in the centre of the wire you have placed and or the wire that the net label is sat on.

Once this is achieved the DRC errors disappear

3 Likes

I think, it is the good old grid setting problem. You must keep grid at 50 mils to place symbols, wires, labels etc. If you set finer grid, things won’t align and hard-to-spot errors happen. Only References, Values and Footprint texts may be on finer-than-50mil grid. And after moving these, never forget to switch back to 50mil (right click on schema and Grid)

3 Likes

I tried to repeat this effekt and it took me a moment to understand that in KiCad the label is not just a property of the connecting line/net but an element of its own that IS the connection and gives it to the connector.
One can test this with the net highlighting function…

Specifically, the “connection” point of the label needs to be coincident with a wire. Look at the labels on the wires exiting U6. See the small black squares? Those are the label’s connection points. You can see them because they aren’t actually connected to anything. Once the connection point is coincident on a wire (anywhere on the wire, really and even on a pin end would work) the small black square will vanish, removing clutter from a properly connected schematic.

@Novaktamas’s directive to keep the grid at 50mils when placing anything that should make electrical connection will prevent a lot of headaches. Specifically when using the standard libraries. (If you designed your own symbols on a different grid, keep to that grid when placing electrical connections in the schematic.)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.