Net label syntax issue?

I am using a 5.99 build. I had remembered something about using the tilde (??) in a schematic net label name to show the overbar. “Syntax help” tells me to put the tilde in front and then the net label name in parenthesis. But instead of getting the overbar, I get exactly what I typed.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a software bug?

EDIT: I have updated the version to the most recent posted 5.99 and I see no change. I have also tried without the parenthesis.

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-11430-ge61b1f03b8), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19041), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Jul 14 2021 09:00:10
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,STL containers)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
ngspice: 34
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

You should use ~{RESET}

OK; thanks. That works! I wonder if there is a way to make it more obvious in the syntax help? Mention “curly brackets”? My eyesight is not so bad…

1 Like

I know it’s not a large font but syntax help clearly shows curly brackets

I guess it depends upon whether a person is examining the characters closely, or just reading them normally and seeing parenthesis. The difference as displayed by the fonts being used is really tiny. When I casually read your post I see parenthesis. It was in the e-mail I received from the forum, (the e-mail sent of JohnRob’s reply) that I saw they were curly brackets.

At least with V5.99 no one is telling you to RTFM. :wink:

But the ‘seeing what you expect’ can be a real problem. In high school I took typing. Back on manual typewriters there was no ‘one’. You used a lower case ‘ell’. 1 vs l. Some 45 or 50 years later I inadvertently reverted when typing some code for a variable. Even though I use a ‘coder friendly’ font it took a while to realize what I’d done.

Actually I did go to the online help and was searching for “inverting net labels” or something like that. Found nothing. I did not think of looking for “syntax.” So when using manuals, a big issue is knowing what to search for.

It was after that when I tried the context menu associated with my net label and it offered syntax help. I give two and a half cheers (Or 4 stars) for that context menu. I deducted half a cheer (or 1 star) for not making it clearer that curly brackets are required.

I can relate similar with my mother who was born in 1920. She had used a mechanical Underwood typewriter for many years; as with your experience it had no key for “1” and she was using the “l”. In her later years she had a computer and would swear that she had used the “1” instead of “l” but it was obvious to me that that was not the case. This is why I prefer to avoid Sans Serif fonts. For example “11 Illinois residents…” is clearer in Verdana font than in Arial font.

If I were criticized for every time is missed something that was obvious to others, I’d be in in an institution.

In fact the first time I tried to get the overbar I missed the syntax as well (ended up using RESET).

So lets not scare folks away from asking questions for fear someone will think it’s just so OBVIOUS they can’t imagine anyone missing the answer.

I would be drinking beers with you in the same institution. But the institution might be a horse barn, and the beer would be the right color but maybe not beer.

I agree!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.