Net class assign in different layer

Hello,
I am using Ki-cad 6.0.2 for layout designing. I am designing 4 layer PCB. I want to assign differential net class to different layer.I have created one net class of 100 ohm and assigned it to differential pair. I want to set the constraints of differential pair for different layers so How can i do that?

First:

Update Kicad!

KiCad V6 is quite new, (released last december) and it now sees a lot bigger user base and quite a lot of small bugs are being found and fixed.
KiCad V6.0.4 was released 3 days before you posted this.

In KiCad, setup of net classes is in Pcb Editor / File / Board Setup / Design rules / Net Classes

The scope of a net class is along the whole net, and there is only one setting for each net class.
As far as I know, KiCad can not use different settings for different layers of the same net or net class.
The only workaround I know is to work with net-ties, and then separate your track into different nets, but this will be a real nuisance to do.

I don’t have much experience with differential pairs, but this request seems fairly logical. As far as I know impedance of a transmission line changes between internal and external layers of a PCB, and the differential pair dimensions should match that. Maybe there already is an issue or feature request for this on gitlab.

But also: Because of the impedance changes, it’s probably better to avoid the whole issue by not switching a differential pair between an internal and external layers in the first place. And this is probably why it is not implemented (yet) in KiCad.

I have already updated the version to kicad 6.0.4. Is it possible with custom rules?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.