Need some assistance in understanding this "Error"

Hello everyone,

I recently sent my board off to Advanced circuits but they keep on kicking my design back. What they are saying is that their software is flagging my gerbers as an error because of this line:

%TA.AperFunction,SMDPad,CuDef*%
%ADD46RoundRect,0.393500X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0*%

I load this into the gerber view from KiCAD and also a random online gerber viewer, there are no error messages and there seems to be nothing wrong with the copper (The above gerber code is from my top copper).

I want to ask for help in what I can do to fix this but I am not sure how I can debug this issue or what I need to look for???

Hi, We will need your Kicad info and the system your using and the Gerber’s in question I expect. Its late now goodnight :sleeping:
:mouse:

I am currently running KiCAD 8.0 on Windows 10.

I am attaching here a copy of the gerber file that is bad

Ethernet_Dev_Board-F_Cu-bad.gbr (157.8 KB)

Ok, so after alot of searching online and such, the error that I was having was actually related to a footprint that I had imported from another program. The visual representation was correct. The pad was circular and there was solder mask/paste on it and everything. Visually speaking in the footprint editor, it looked correct.

However, the issue was this, the pad that was circular was set as a rounded rectangle with a corner radius of X and 0 height and weight. This of course is an issue. Once I changed the pad type to circular, I confirmed that in my Gerber file, I do not have a weird issue of 0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0.000000X0

2 Likes

Does KiCad’s DRC complain about this footprint? I’m glad you solved the issue with your PCB manufacturer, but this may be worth investigating further. KiCad should never generate faulty Gerber files.

Can you make a little test project with:

1. At least one schematic symbol for that footprint.
  2. Preferably something to connect it to (a random resistor or capacitor will do).
  3. A project specific library with the offending footprint.
  4. A simple PCB with the footprint on it.

And then zip up the project and post it here.

Also does the footprint checker (in the footprint editor) catch that error?

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay. I did run the footprint checker and it did not catch. I will have to create a project with the things and zip up and post here for you guys to take a closer look at it.