Need 6SN7 tube symbol & footprint

Hello, I’m just trying to figure out how in the heck to create a symbol & footprint for an octal socket with a pin-out for a 6SN7GT tube…I can get as far as “I don’t have permission to add to library”. I’m getting up there in age and thought I would give this program a go. Been a while since doing so much screen time. Just wanted to rebuild a couple amps using new PCB’s…
Thanks for any advice
Brian

It will be good for neural connections and education. But, if not interested in going through the hurdles, I have free time and can make the Tube/Socket 3D-model and footprint for you (no cost).

Many YouTube videos on how to do it (including some I’ve posted)

You’d need to provide the geometry details/spec sheet…

ADDED I made a Nixie tube (with and without socket) for someone awhile back, image below

Another approach: KiCad does not permit you to modify the standard libraries because those will tend to get erased when you update KiCad. So to make your own, or even to use a symbol or footprint from @BlackCoffee you will need to establish your own custom library(s). Those should be in folder(s) with your data, saved wherever you want on your computer.

4 Likes

Kicad already have some library for valves (as they call them). At least in the Kicad6 RC there’s an octal socket. Can’t find the 6sn7 symbol, but you can use ecc88 as a base (also dual triode) only remapping the pinout for an octal socket.

2 Likes

If you want do it yourself, some suggestions (process actually applicable to making any kind of new symbol):

Create your own library where you can write your creations
Find a symbol which most resembles your target. In the case of the 6SN7GT which is a dual triode, the ECC81 or 82 might be a good start. It’s under valves.
The ECC tubes are noval rather octal base, that’s not a problem because you can renumber the pins and the footprint can be changed.
However you have to change the indirectly heated cathode to a directly heated one, This involves a couple of minutes of graphical editing.
There is probably a footprint for octal as there is EL34 in the standard library.
Save the symbol with the new name 6SN7GT.
Take up BlackCoffee’s offer of a 3D model if you want a photorealistic rendition of the board and valves mounted on it.

fred4u beat me to it for the general idea.

Good luck. I had a shocking time once with a valve amplifier, hahaha. :rofl:

1 Like

Hello @Monk55

No one as yet has mentioned how to make your personal libraries in which to place your footprints and symbols.
This is a good place to start:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/creating-a-new-symbol-library-and-a-new-symbol-in-kicad-5/13341

You can use exactly the same procedure for a Footprint library.

There is a lot more information in the FAQ. The link is at the top of this forum in blue.
If you have problems, just ask in this forum.

Cheers,

1 Like

Hello BlackCoffee,
extremely generous offer…I would like to learn but would also not ignore your support. I think it will be a big help to see what you create…I have attached what I hope will do the trick. Let me know of any questions & I will try to answer. Thank you very much

6SN7GT (r-type.org)

I’ll base it from hand skecth. I get a warning about The .org file.

I’ll make a Footprint and a 3D model for Graphic (semi-realistic, underscore the ‘semi’…) and will take great liberty with dimensions (unless you can post something…)

See if this works:
6SN7GT (pocnet.net)

Here is what I can find on this tube socket:
35.2mm screw hole pitch (fix ring)

It’s a unique base & I have a bag of them…

Thanks… I got ahead of this by assuming dimensions (based on your first sketch) and considering the 3D is only graphics (assuming not using it for Clearance checks).

Thus, my dim’s are not valid, based on the collective of sketches and PDF/spec.

I can update/Redo it but, that will have to wait as I’m now in the middle of other work…

Let me know how accurate you want the Graphics (Regardless, when finished, the Footprint will match the spec’s)

In-process screenshots… (I won’t be doing additional inner-guts…)

Your Hand-Sketches, PDF-Spec and Base-Line drawing (most recent post) have conflicting Dimensions and Design Attributes/Features…

I don’t know what you want. Using most recent post of the Base puts the rest of the Tube (or me) in a quandary… You see the Fastener Wings are above the PCB if the bottom of the Base sits on it…

(Some bases are designed to sit in a Hole and connect the Tube via a Connector (on a Cable. That’s what this Base appears to be for - that way the Wings will sit on PCB and no real Footprint is needed - just mount holes)

Some interim screenshot below…

I’m going to leave it here until you provide consistent Geometric and Design details on Exactly what you want - that will minimize the turbulent waters around my desk…

For you vacuum tube aficionados (I am not one of them) have a look at this video.

I like transistors and ICs. Perhaps related: I replaced my turntable with a CD player when they became affordable. The only problem with CD players; they do not seem to last…

1 Like

Tubes are what actually helped to shape the sound that many of us love. Their uniqe characteristics make them perfect for distorted guitar amplification, which is addictive. So, tubes are perfect because of their imprefections :wink:

Or go to youtube and type in Mullard for some very detailed programmes on tube manufacture… easy to loose a whole evening!

Of course not. If they go for fifteen years, how could they sell you another one in two years. :slightly_frowning_face:

Most common fault: the rubber band drive on the drawer mechanism. Next most common fault: glue holding the prisms and mirrors in place comes un-stuck.
Extremely rare to find an electronic fault. (stops here before getting on soap box}

Good to see other Geeks are also Musicians (or, perhaps other Musicians are Geeks).

I’ve been a Jazz Guitar player 50 yrs! and made a few Archtop’s
(photos’ below of two I made from laminated counter-top material from Home Depot…)

Guitar399x225

first

Very nice work BC…I see you like working with hands…I built a solid body fretless bass years ago but it still sounds wonderful.

The 3D is fine. My hand sketch is what I need for layout/footprint for the socket that was shown in the hand sketch. It’s pins just solider into the holes on the PCB. Sorry about throwing the other dimensions at you…
I’m wondering how i receive the files?
I tried to follow you recommended YouTube videos but you’re a master and it was far too fast for me to follow. Incredible work however.

Okay… I won’t fuss about the Base’s 3D details (just a graphic anyway…)

1. Please confirm the below screenshot is what you want.

2. I will post the files Here in a follow-up post (no special needs req’d)

3. Kicad uses Schematic and/or PCB (depends on goal).
    • PCB uses a Footprint and can relate a 3D model to it (for graphics)
    • Schematic uses a Symbol and can relate a Footprint to it (which, in turn relates to a 3D model)

Somewhat standard symbols are used to Tubes (also called Valves) but, they are simple/easy to make and I encourage you try it. But, I will include one.
Thus, when finished, I’ll post:
• 3D .Step file (to relate to Footprint)
• Footprint for PCB
• Symbol for Schematic

You’ll need to discover how-to/where-to place them on computer and link them (many posts on doing it…)

Re: YouTube Video’s: On the bottom of video window you’ll see a Cog (screenshot below). Click it and set the Playback Speed as desired (and use Pause to hold image still, as needed…)