My Current Take on the New V6 Icons

Thanks @marekr, I have nothing to say about the icons themselves, the problem of the license or not, it is the layout with the titles and the descriptions that do not serve me personally, with this new menu that makes 3 or 4 times the size he had in version 5.
I think it’s useless, especially as when you open the schematic and the PCB editor generally, we no longer use this menu.
For the “pip”, I meant the “pipe” nothing to do with Python ! Sorry, I meant that this can be planned for later? If not it’s just a pity.

There are lots of opinions on the 5.99 icons, but the developers do get users’ feedback and the new icons get progressively better. Of course, no one set will please everybody so until there will be support for user-selectable icon themes, there always be a compromise.

The huge white window up to 5.1 had almost no use at all, so the developers decided to bring more beginner-friendly buttons with descriptions of the launcher modules. It was a wasted space after all.
I’d prefer to see my design previews there, but it’s not possible to get them without major engine overhaul to make use of the multi-document interface.

who has time to care about any of this (yes, yes I am posting as well)

Bikeshedding is the official pastime of all involved in open source projects :wink:

1 Like

A user can currently modify images.tar.gz inside C:\Program Files\KiCad\5.99\share\kicad\resources manually on windows to change icons. We do not however plan to ever distribute the original icons for such a change ourselves.

Hello @fred4u, thanks. Once again, I have no reviews for icons! Elsewhere I do not want to change them. No, my ship concerns the new layout in the home menu. As can be seen in the configuration tab, it is now possible to choose the size between 50 and 275% which leaves users a good choice of visualization. What I find pity is that the upload, one under the others constrains the overall size of the menu.
Here the config settings for icons size :
Scale
Setting at 275%

Setting at 50%

All items are stacked line by line :

Like the positioning on the 5.1 :

That’s all.

From the viewpoint of UI quality there’s a bigger problem: the list can’t be scrolled. The only way to get the last ones visible is to make the window taller.

To make this as flexible as possible there could be preferences for:

• horizontal/vertical list
  • hide/show descriptions (longer texts)
  • hide/show names (“Schematic Editor” etc.

And the area would be scrollable if all aren’t visible.

Also, the texts should be clickable; maybe they should be inside the buttons. I don’t see a reason why I should not be able to open a program by clicking on the text.

2 Likes

I support both of those suggestions from eelik: scrollable area, clickable text.

We had clickable texts but people kept accidentally hitting the text when they didn’t mean to click it.

Really? I can’t imagine what they were doing! How can you “accidentally” click on something? But anyway, clickable text is pretty much a de facto standard now, especially in cases like this where the text is a list of titles representing functions or integrated programs.

I know this is just UI polish, and so perhaps not important, but looking at this:

Would it be possible to align the top of the icon with the top of the text, at all icon scales? It looks weird seeing the icons higher than the text, especially as the disparity varies with the icon scaling.

It should be reported as an issue to be fixed, but not here but on Gitlab.
If you don’t have gitlab account and/or don’t want to have one, let me know and I can fill the ticket in this regard.

The program icons (the launcher ones on the right side) have been changed to no longer be scaled.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.