Multiple selection of components and traces from eeschema to review layout

Hi all,

I am trying to review the PCB routing which I used to do with Orcad and Altium previously.

I want to select certain section of circuit(including components, traces, planes) from schematic editor and the same should get highlighted in ‘pcb editor’. Is this feature available in Kicad? Can anyone help me with the options if its possible?

Thanks in advance

I want to select certain section of circuit(including components, traces, planes) from schematic editor and the same should get highlighted in ‘pcb editor’. Is this feature available in Kicad?

Cross-Highlight/Cross-select multiple items is not possible in the current v6.0.4 version. It’s only possible to highlight/select one item at a time.
Cross-hightlighting/selecting should also be enabled in the Preferences–>Schematic–>Display and Preferences–>Board–>Display sections (I think it’s enabled as standard after installation).

Looking at the development-version v6.99 (I don’t recommend it for production use at the moment) there is cross-selection enhanced to include multi-selections from schematic–>board. Nice feature.
But highlighting still works only for one track/wire.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I am able to cross-highlight single IC at a time. Sorry, I was not clear earlier.

I wanted to check certain circuit sections including multiple ICs, traces from schematic and view them in PCB. Currently, usecase is just review the placements and routing and give feedback to the PCB engineer in person for improvements. In that case, I guess I can explore the v6.99 version just for placement review purpose.

Thanks again for the feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

was there a step back here from v5 to v6? in v5 you could show all components and wires of a subsheet in the layout with right-click on the subsheet–> select items on PCB.

was there a step back here from v5 to v6? in v5 you could show all components and wires of a subsheet in the layout with right-click on the subsheet–> select items on PCB.

No step back, just incompetent (incomplete) answer from me.
The mentioned functionality still exists and allows to select all items belonging to a subsheet.
There is also a similar functionality in the board-editor: RMB (right-click) on a footprint → context-menu–>Select–>All items in same hierarchical sheet

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.