Multiple schematic sheets -- How-to?

Hello,

New KiCAD user here (started with version 5, never worked with any of the previous versions).

I can’t find any documentation on this, and I can’t make much sense of the functionality myself. In Eeschema, I go to the menu File → Append Schematic Sheet; I find it quite unintuitive what happens there: it expects me to give it the file name of an existing schematic. I would expect this to create a new sheet. If not, then I would expect a menu “New → Schematic Sheet” that then I can save. For that matter, I expect a schematic file to contain multiple sheets.

I see that I can increase the size of the sheet up to something huge like an A0 paper size; but (1) maybe I don’t want to do that — maybe I want to organize my schematic and have, e.g., one sheet for the digital part, one sheet for the analog part, and one sheet for the power and interfacing connectors. And (2), what if A0 paper size is not enough? (my schematic my have a large enough number of components that I run out of space)

Any pointers to where I can find more information?

Thanks,
Cal-linux

Essential reading : http://docs.kicad.org/stable/en/eeschema.html#hierarchical-schematics

1 Like

Indeed essential! I guess what I had in mind maps most closely to the “flat hierarchies”. So, question on this:

In the example, under section 7.9, schematic pic_sockets.sch:

• I guess the “net label” (icon image in Eeschema) can be placed and it will connect to a global label of the same name in the same sheet, right? (example, DATA_RB7)

• However, just to confirm: the VCC_PIC net label (connecting the VCC_PIC global label to pin 1 of U6) is completely unnecessary, right? (I wonder, why add it in the example, that is intended to explain the concept to beginners? adding it, seems to me, just causes confusion, no?)

Thanks,
Cal-linux

1 Like

I think that is an error in the example, global labels will take precedence. The local label is indeed redundant (and misleading).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.