Multiple power connections errors

I’m designing a PCB that will have multiple different connector types (user will use the type they want) for +5VDC, but the design rule check keeps complaining about the connectors being connected to the same power connection(input?)…

The PCB layout is correct, but is there a way to have multiple power inputs going to the same rail without getting errors?

I’m running 4.0.6 on windows10…

I presume you got the errors in the schematic?
Maybe the issue is due to power pin output connected to power pin output or power pin input connected to power pin input?

If you are sure you want those pins connected, you can either ignore the warning, uncheck the warning in the ERC table or change the pin type from power input to passive.

If it really is Design Rules Check, that suggests Pcbnew.

@crusader27529 as a start, can you copy and paste the error messages you are getting?

A lot of people write DRC when they mean ERC.

Assuming it is ERC:

This does never create an error.

Yup. The cleanest way i know of is by setting the connector pins to passive and using the power flag to mark your rail as “is supplied”.

Now a question: Is it a good idea to connect multiple power inputs output pins? (Edit: i was not clear enough here. Thanks @pedro for pointing this out.)
If the user of your system ever connects more then one power supply this could lead to problems. Maybe insert diodes to ensure that no power supply can overpower another supply. Or include a selector switch.

It depends on one’s ERC options configuration table…

Why not?
I have a design with two regulators whose outputs are 3V6 and 3V3. Both regulators are powered by a power output of 4V1, and their power inputs ( VCC of 3V6 and 3V3 regulators) are connected.

The kicad default setting for ERC does not generate an error for power input connected to power input. I assume the original poster did not change that.

Connecting power input pins is no problem. At least as long as you do not use too much current. (That’s why the default ERC setting does not complain for that.)
Connecting multiple power output pins is where the problem is. Even if they have the same nominal voltage. One of them will supply a higher voltage because of tolerances. They will “fight” against each other.
(Unless the regulators are specified to be used this way. Current sources can typically be connected in parallel.)

Edit: ok i see my error. I wrote power input. You assumed power input pin, i meant connectors that are used to input power into the pcb. (I should have written that more clearly.)

2 Likes

Power pin output to output…sorry.

There are multiple outputs going to the same buss because the PCB has multiple, optional USB type connectors(only power connected) to allow cabling flexibility, and only one would be in use.