Multiple options of component placement

Hi,
please, is in KiCAD any option to have one PCB layout with multiple version of components placement?

To describe it better:
I have PCB with some circuit for example (for simplicity) some variable linear regulator. For the manufacturer, I need to generate BOM (or Placement) file with components. And I have one PCB layout and for every purpose different values of components (resistors, capacitors, jumpers, etc.)

Is there any reasonable way to do it…

It would be best in one project. Because when I edit PCB layout it should be reflected in all variants.

Thank you so much!

Most of what I have read is people choosing a single component that is supplied from different manufacturers when they do a design to avoid exactly this problem. For what you want it may be simpler to copy the design to a different project and change as needed.

Copying the project may be fine if, but only if, you won’t change the layout later. Otherwise you will run into great problems because the copies go out of sync. Can’t you use just one layout, “master” BOM and copy the BOM and alter the copies?

1 Like

I’m not sure hermit understood your question. KiCad does not deal with variants very well. I usually handle variants through the BOM, it’s usually an easy and straight forward process so long as you don’t re-annotate the board.

1 Like

Thanks for replay!

Yes, I thought multiple mounting variants of one PCB layout.

Variants through BOM is a little bit difficult to maintain because individual configurations may vary in tens of components. And after every edit, you must generate new BOM, and make this edits for every configuration… For nice scheme is good to do reannotation.

(but reference code of component can be replaced by component “timestamp”)

This BOM tool does have some variant functionality and might meet your needs. I have found it to be very stable and easy to configure.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.