Multiple groups of PCB footprints - how to create and use?

Hi,

I am a somewhat inexperienced KiCAD user, so please bear with me.

I have a task that includes the use of up to 256 identically laid-out groups of components on a PCB, each consisting of 7 components and the traces between these.

I did search a while to find a known way to group these components in eeschema and/or pcbnew to be able to copy and paste, but honestly did not find a method suiting me.

I thought about creating a new component made from those in the group, but did not find a way to integrate the traces between the footprints.

So how would a KiCAD expert solve this?

This is handled by the “Replicate Layout” plugin.

https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=Replicate%20Layout

Thank you for the pointer. I will dig myself in there :wink:

Thanks again - it works, although I will need to get accomodated to it.

One thing irritating me is more related to the sub-schematic handling in eeschema. Is it correct that I need to assign a footprint for every single component in each instance, instead of doing that once for the single sub-schematic I added as instances to the root schematic?

Uh, one more…

I am fiddling around with some toy schematics consisting of two resistors only. I added 6 instances to the root schematic, placed the footprints of the first and positioned one resistor of all the others as pleased me. But when calling the plugin, I got this:

What is that supposed to tell me?

Never mind - tried it once more from scratch and this time it worked as expected. :confused:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.