Multiple Footprints found

I’m trying to clean up an error I get when updating the PCB from the schematic before submitting Gerber for another pass of a pcb.

I couldn’t figure it out on previous passes–everything looked good and the boards came out ok. But, this time I’d like to figure out what’s wrong and fix it.

The error is :

Error: Multiple footprints found for ‘H1’.
Total warnings: 0, errors: 1.

H1 is 3.2 mm mounting hole from the KiCad built-in Mounting Hole library:

How do if determine where the duplicate footprint is coming from?

At one point, the footprint was imported from an Eagle design. I subsequently changed the footprint to use the Kicad model. I don’t see the imported card in the libraries from footprint editor or manage footprint libraries. Maybe I deleted it at some point.

Do you have multiple H1s on your schematic ? or are they H1, H2, etc. ?

The error comes up if you have multiple footprints with the same reference designator in the layout. Use the search panel (CTRL+G or View → Show Search Panel) to find all instances, look which one is the intended one and remove or rename the others.

1 Like

I tried to reproduce this error. First by putting two resistors on the schematic, both with RefDes R1, and this triggers the annotation dialog when I attempt to update the PCB, and it renames one of the resistors to R2. (The way this works could be dependent on a setting.)

after that, I changed the RefDes of R2 back to R1 on the PCB, also assigned a smaller footprint, and then DRC gives me: Warning: Duplicate footprints.

The message is similar but still a bit different from what you get. But still there is enough overlap. The properties manager shows <…> for X and Y positions, which suggest multiple footprints are selected, and yet they all have the Reference H1.

1 Like

At some point, I added two additional mounting holes to the layout but not in the schematic.

H1 and H2 were in the schematic. When I added the extra holes, they got created with REFDES=H1

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.