Multiple configuration of board

Hello.
I have project, which can be assembled a bit different for different situations. This achieved by placing or not placing some parts.
I can manually switch “DNP” and “Exclude from *” parameters for each part separatly to get correct schematic and production files, but after each change in schematic or PCB I need to repeat this process for each configuration.
Is there any way to create configurations for board in KiCad, where depending on selected configuration some settings will be applied to some parts (like build configurations in C that change preprocessor flags)? Or maybe there at least some way to change some parameter (for example, DNP mark) for more than one part at a time?

1 Like

First, welcome to the the forum.

second a wish: try to mention the used kicad version, as often (or at least sometimes) the answer depends on the kicad version (see below).

some way to change some parameter (for example, DNP mark) for more than one part at a time?

values: try to use the symbol fields table (schematic Editor → Tools–>Edit symbol fields)
editing attributes for multiple symbols: (like DNP-setting):
v6/v7: not that I know
v7.99 nightly (==upcoming v8 next year): implemented in symbol fields table, and also possible with the new properties panel

Is there any way to create configurations for board in KiCad

not natively implemented, there is a older feature request pending on gitlab: Create a PCB assembly variant system (lp:#1767218) (#2131) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab
Upvote that issue (or any other issue) if you find it useful. (upvoting == thumbs-up icon directly below the feature request, not a manual answer).
Until that is implemented you could try the following python-plugins which implement variant systems based on additional custom fields:

• InteractiveHTML BOM
  • Kicost
  • KiBom
    I have not tested these addons, so for more advice regarding these addons you have to wait for more answers.
2 Likes

I am using v7.0 now, but I’ll update v7.99/v8 as soon as possible when release will be available to get this feature.
Thank you for help.

Be aware that any projects created with 7.0, if opened in 7.99 and saved, can no longer be opened in 7.0.

2 Likes

but I’ll update v7.99/v8 as soon as possible

You can update anytime, the nightly builds are freely available (Windows Downloads | KiCad EDA, link at the bottom of the side) and can be installed alongside the stable kicad v7-version.
Consider the answer above and also read Nightly Builds and Release Candidates | KiCad EDA to understand the intention and advantage of the nighly version (get new features as fast as possible, and help with bugfixing), but also the drawbacks (more unstable software, file format might change without warning, no file-comptibility to old v6/v7 version)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.