Moving PCB footprint with wires connected?

Please help.
Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.5)-3, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

In KiCad V5 there is no rubber banding / stretching of PCB tracks while moving components. (That is planned for V6 I believe).

In KiCad V5 you can make complex selections by keeping the [Shift] key pressed.
You can then click individual items to toggle selection, and you can use box selection by dragging the mouse while [LMB] is pressed. Dragging to the right only selects fully enclosed items, while dragging to the left also selects items that cross the selection boundaries.

Edit: Swapped left & right.

2 Likes

In Windows version of v5.1 it’s possible to switch to the Legacy Toolset (in Preferences menu) temporarily and use context menu -> Footprint -> Drag.

In 5.99 (which can’t be used if you’re not willing to switch to and stay in the unstable devevelopment series of nightly builds) it’s possible to drag with D. It uses the Highlight Collisions mode, so it’s not full push’n’shove, but better than in v4/5.

My KiCad (5.1.5) works opposite.

My KiCad V5.1.5 also works opposite.
Please don’t mock me because I can’t separate my left from my right.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.