Moving parts into custom libraries

There has been a significant change between V4 and V5 in how the parts libraries work and the documentation is not up-to-date. In 4, you could choose a part, change the active library to an existing custom library (or create a new one) and then save the parts to that library - with or without changes. I do not see a way to do this with V5. What am I missing?

V5 now uses the copy/paste model, but the route is not completely obvious. You need to right click (or context menu key) on the part in the “Search tree” then select Copy. You need to have the Search tree visible of course.

Then select the destination library, right click and do Paste Symbol.

To paste to a new library, create using File->New Library them follow the above.

Excellent! Thank you for the clear and obvious explanation.

73 Don Weissgerber N9GOD

To be honest i think the new way of doing it is more obvious to beginners.
Nearly every tool i ever used that has a sidebar tree view allows copy paste in the way done by kicad.
This includes the file browser of windows. (Not sure if windows 7 and newer still include a tree view in the file browser. Did not really use it that much as i now only use windows if i need catia.) But also tools like freecad, eclipse, atom, firefox (with sidebar addon), …

Old timey kicad users will search for the way of doing things in kicad 4 (and earlier). So i also see why people are confused by it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.