Moving My Custom Symbols and Footprints from 6.0 to 8.0

Hello All,

I am moving from 6.0 to 8.0.
I skipped 7.0 completely.
In 6.0 my custom symbols reside in a file named “EE_Library.kicad_sym” located at at C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\6.0\symbols".
In 6.0 my custom footprints reside in a folder named “EE.pretty” located at “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\6.0\footprints”.

I copied the file “EE_Library.kicad_sym” and the folder “EE.pretty” to the same folders in 8.0.
Namely, “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\symbols” and “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\footprints”.
When I hit A in the schematic editor, “EE_Library” does not show and neither do the “EE.pretty” footprints.
In the KiCad Manager, I did “Configure Paths” and it shows; KICAD_3RD_PARTY C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\3rdparty.
I copied the file and folder into “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\3rdparty\symbols” and “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\3rdparty\footprints” respectively.
They still don’t show up.
I also copied both the file and the folder into “C:\Users\eewiz\Documents\KiCad\8.0\3rdparty”.
They still don’t show up.

How do I get my custom symbols and footprints to show up in KiCad 8.0?

All for now

KiCad does not show libraries automatically. You have to add each library explicitly to the library table. in … / Preferences / Manage Symbol Libraries and … / Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries.

There is no change in the way this works. You already had to add your libraries manually to these library tables in KiCad V4 for as far as I can remember.

If you have a lot of personal / custom libraries, then using a sourcecode merge program such as meldmerge is an easy way to transfer these settings to sym-lib-table and fp-lib-table files.

Hello paulvdh,

If I may ask.
Where is the correct place to put my symbol file and footprint folder?
Should it be 8.0\Symbols and 8.0\Footprints or 8.0\3rdParty\Symbols and 8.0\3rdParty\Footprints or should both be in 8.0\3rdParty as specified in KiCad Manager?

Thank You

All for now

I think the problem is in library lists.
When moved V5-V6 and V6-V7 I had to show KiCad files containing my library lists. I use only my own libraries and don’t change their locations with KiCad version change. After showing KiCad the lists I had to open each library and save it in new format.

I have all my working data in folder D:\Mm (Mm from our firm name) and backup them everyday. So for me obvious was that all my KiCad files (including my libraries) have to be under D:\Mm.
I have written some time ago how I have it organised:

Hi @eewiz

There is no reason to move, rename, or anything else, with your Personal Libraries. The same libraries in the same place will work with Kicad 6, 7 or 8; and probably with 9 & 10 when they occur.

All you need to do is re-enter each library into the Library list as shown by Paul above.

Personal Libraries only need to be re-entered to the Library lists every major Kicad release. ie. 6, 7, 8 etc.They do not need re-entering for minor releases. eg. 6.0.5 to 6.0.6 etc.

Hello jmk,
The copied libraries did not show in the browsers until I highlighted them, hit the “Migrate Libraries” button then OKed out of the Symbol Libraries dialog.
Similar to the way schematics and PCBs once migrated from an earlier version cannot return to that earlier version, did the “Migrate” alter the libraries to work with 8.0 so that they would no longer work with 6.0?

No.

The migrate button is for moving Kicad 5 libraries to 6, 7 or 8.

Your Personal Libraries should install by (using the screen Paul shows):

Click + button.
Click in empty Library Path box.
Click on folder at RH end of Library Path box.
Navigate to and double click a Personal Library.
Fill in the Nickname.

Repeat for each library.

Thank you all, for your generous suggestions.