Moved and closed

Hello everybody,
I am new to layout design in general and to KiCad in particular. My environment is Build (2013-07-07 BZR 4022)-stable under Vista.
a) Couldn’t figure out how to start a new topic
b) In my study case some difficulties puzzle me (as a new user I may not place a screenshot):

1. Almost all pads on the GND net are marked as not connected despite the fact that they all are connected with a via going to the GND plane, which has a via connecting it to the GND pin on the board connector. Similar arrangement of the VCC connections obviously is good for DRC.
  2. Despite the general setting of Thermal Relief for pads connection, all GND vias appear without any connection to the plane (may explain the previous point), only one VCC via has a 4-way connection to the VCC plane, all the rest VCC vias are connected ‘solid’. The are no clearance openings around VCC vias on the GND plane even when via is necessarily going through the GND plane.
    Thanks for reading
1 Like

Hi Boris,
To understand this problem, I need to check your board. The main problem could be with the netlist. It may not be imported properly, or the rules are not set properly. These might be the possibilities:

1. Whichever plane you are using, you have to select the net of that particular plane to make the connection.
  2. While adding the GND symbols in the schematic, confirm that only one type of GND symbol is used, not two different types. Or, if you have to use two different types of symbols, then make sure to short them.
  3. While importing netlist, there might be some issues due to the rule set. You need to find that in the rule settings.
  4. I think the thermal relief option is for through-hole pins, not for vias.
  5. Thermal relief pads are not applicable to vias. They are applicable to through-hole pins and assembly.
  6. For clearance, you might have selected the wrong net. Instead of providing GND as a net, you must have provided Vcc as GND. You can also use the Add Filled Zone.