Move parts to subcircuit without losing annotation

Hi there

is there any possibility to move some components to a subcircuit without losing the annotation to the pcb?
I started to layout my pcb, but now i need to add some parts. And i want to avoid placing the other parts once again.

Thanks in advance!

There is no way to do this directly in KiCad V5.1.x.
In KiCad-nightly V5.99 there is a “Paste special” in the popup menu that preserves the Refdes, but this is not implemented in KiCad V5.1.x.

The easiest way to restore the annotation probably is:

1. Make a backup, just to add some redundancy.
  2. Print the schematic to a .pdf (or .svg) file for reference.
  3. Add a hierarchical sheet, cut the part of the schematic, paste in that sheet.
  4. Use the .pdf to restore the annotation.
  5. Eeschema / Tools / Update PCB from Schematic with: Match Method: Re-associate footprints by reference

Step 5. should re-sync the timestamp values that KiCad normally uses to sync the schematic with the PCB. Once that is done, you can optionally re-annotate your sub-page, with for example starting from number 100.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

That’s not the ideal solution, but it works. Saves me a lot of time.

Alternative method: Duplicate your schematic file and give it a new name. Then, insert a hierarchical sheet and use the file name of the new schematic. Finally, edit the two schematics as needed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.