Move origin to an arbitrary point

Hello!

I would like to move the graphics origin to an arbitrary point.
The problem: I’m using a 1.27mm pitch connector. As I work in metric units, if I draw a trace between 2 pads, it will be drawn wherever is convenient for Kicad, if it fits between the 2 pads. So it will always be closer to one of the pads. So the only way to draw it beautifully between the 2 pads would be to set the origin at the center of the connector, then change the grid to half the pitch and draw wires. They will always be exactly on the connector pads, or exactly half-way between 2, which is what I want.

Is there a way to set the origin off-grid?

Thanks,

R

Set your grid to 1.27mm

Move your PCB so the connector is on the 1.27mm grid then change your grid to .6350mm.
This should give the result you want.

I have (since always = in my case it means KiCad 4.0.7) my PCB located around the absolute origin (removing the A4 frame first) and never move my PCB.
Setting user grid you can also set its origin (grid origin, not absolute origin).
Working still in V6 in that case I would just temporary set grid origin to pin 1 of that connector.
Or I would set grid to 0.01mm and manually drag the track to be ‘enough centered’.

2 Likes

Hello!

Thanks for your reply. I don’t have to change the absolute coordinates. I always start the board at (50, 50). It would be better to have the option to change the absolute origin, but I can live with it and I’m used to it.
Until now, what I did is:

• Change to inch grid
  • Move the connector to some round value of the grid
  • Draw the wires (using a grid of half the connector pitch), to a fixed line out of the connector outline
  • Go back to metric
  • Move the connector together with its wires, to its original position.
  • Connect the wires that have been started, to the rest of the circuit

So to summarize, it’s possible but it’s a PITA (1) and I would greatly appreciate if I could move the grid temporarily.

(1) pain where you know.

Thanks,

R

As I have written - you can.
In grid selection you have: “Edit user grid…”. The origin you set there works even you don’t select to use user grid but one of standard grids (that is in V6, I don’t know how in V7).

Hello!

Sorry, I didn’t get it. It seems to work.

Thanks,

R

@roboya
Use the hot key S, move cursor to where you want origin. Left click.

Use “Reset grid origin” in grid settings ti return to original grid.

Same as 6

Yesterday I did not want to answer at all to this question, as it’s been answered multiple times, and quite recently to. Today I’ve got something for you to do. Search this forum for at least two references, post them here and then formulate a follow up question about the differences between the answers in those threads and your own situation.

Hello!

That’s your choice, and nobody can blame you except if you are paid for this work.

R

My intention was to encourage some self reliance on your side.

Origins are discussed even in a FAQ.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.