Move lag in Pcbnew

I’m experiencing a large lag in cursor movement and draw update when moving items in Pcbnew. See attached screen record.

I’m using Modern Toolset (Accelerated) (F11) however changing this does not eliminate the problem.
OpenGL appears to work fine since the 3D viewer runs smoothly. My graphics card driver is up to date.

For this release version of KiCad I don’t experience this lag in Eeschema when doing move operations however when I tested the latest nightly build (7/12/2019) both Pcbnew and Eeschema did display this lag problem.

KiCad Version : (5.1.2)-2
System info: Windows 10, i5-4460, 12 GB RAM, GTX-1050 Ti

Anyone have any ideas on what could cause this or is this amount of lag to be expected?

The amount of lag seen in the video is not expected.

I have seen issues with some Windows installations that slow down redraw operations. Usually it is a graphics driver issues. Sometimes it can be caused by putting KiCad or the KiCad files on a shared drive. A few times, KiCad operations were being sandboxed by an AntiVirus software.

Check these things first. If they don’t apply or changing them doesn’t fix your issue, please report this over at the bug tracker. https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad

2 Likes

Can you say more about the PC, OS and especially the graphics

System info: Windows 10, i5-4460, 12 GB RAM, GTX-1050 Ti

Using latest Nvidia drivers (431.36) - OpenGL appears to work within KiCad since the 3D viewer works well.
No anti-virus.

What more would you like to know?

The i5 is an old model, but on paper this should still be a fast machine.
Something is wrong. The 1050 did have OpenGL driver problems in the past.

Seeing the same issue with KiCad 5.1.0 through 5.1.4 (not tried older) on my machine. One of my CPU cores is pegged close to 100% when dragging the component, if you repeat circular motion drag it just doesn’t update the component location until you stop.

Running latest Windows 10, Ryzen 1700, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, tried various nvidia drivers, with clean removal and install, also completely removed KiCad and reinstalled several times.

It used to run just fine on 5.1.0 and 5.1.2, think it was after a windows update that it stopped working properly.

Looks like this bug I reported some time ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1833834

Same problem here. I use KiCad on:
core i5 4790k - OC + 12GB ram + AMD R580 - older or new drivers - slow
Ryzen 3700x + 16GB ram + AMD R580 - newest drivers - slow

core i7 L640 (old notebook) + 4GB ram - integrated intel graphics - smooth

all updated Windows 10, KiCad 5.1.2.

Sems like problem with dedicated graphics.

Current kicad version is 5.1.4

My mistake:
core i5 4790k - OC + 12GB ram + AMD R580 - older or new drivers - slow - 5.1.4
Ryzen 3700x + 16GB ram + AMD R580 - newest drivers - slow - 5.1.4 (fresh instal with win last weekend, last amd drivers)

core i7 L640 (old notebook) + 4GB ram - integrated intel graphics - smooth - 5.1.2
core i3 + 8GB ram - integrated intel graphics - smooth - 5.1.4

all updated Windows 10,
Now I’m in work on NB and it’s confuse me.

version 5.1.5 same.

Intel graphics smooth
AMD dedicated graphics slow refresh.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.