Move KiCad libraries to home folder

KiCad libraries are saved in /usr/share/kicad, taking up a lot of space in the root partition. I’d prefer to have them in my home folder. Can I move them? How?

I’m on Debian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch).

1 Like

You should be able to move everything under /usr/share/kicad/ to another directory and make /usr/share/kicad a soft link with ln command, I believe you know how because you use Debian (unless it’s administrated by someone else).

3 Likes

Thank you! For future reference and googlers here’s how to move it to a kicad-dir in your home folder:

mkdir ~/kicad
sudo mv /usr/share/kicad/* ~/kicad/
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/kicad/
sudo ln -s ~/kicad/ /usr/share/kicad
1 Like

For reference in Kicad 7 one can go to Preferences → Configure paths leading to :

allowing one to change the directories, in particular the 3D models one.

Personally… I would make a directory in /home (eg kicad_libs) and bind-mount it onto /usr/share/kicad

Why? when the OS next revbumps it will still want to put it into /usr/share/kicad as that was part of the build prefix

This is a 6 year old thread by the way and hopefully people won’t get into the situation of not enough space in the root partition in the first place, but if you do then Naib’s solution is better as it handles package updates.