Mouse freezes in eeschema after edit value or edit reference

Every time I use “edit value” or “edit reference” in eeschema the mouse freezes after I click OK in the dialog box. The cursor no longer moves or tracks the mouse. It does not respond to mouse clicks in the schematic. It does respond to menu clicks. Opening and closing the “About” box in eeschema’s help menu restores mouse functionality, until I edit another value or reference. Minimize and restore the window also restores mouse functionality.

I am new to KiCad and it was working fine when I installed it about a week ago. This mouse problem started in the last day or two. It might have started after the recent Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. I tried reinstalling KiCad, which didn’t help.

KiCad Version 4.0.7, release build
Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Version 1709
OS Build 16299.64

If you don’t get any helpful replies here within the next 18 hours, head over to the bugtracker and file a bugreport please.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked there and these three bugs all seem to describe a similar problem (1654854, 1734797, 1734882).

1 Like

There is a workaround to avoid this issue, if you encounter it. It only seems to happen when you do something like right-click on a component and choose to edit its value, reference, or footprint from the popup menu. If you hover over the component and use the shortcut keys (V, U, F) to perform these tasks, the mouse does not freeze.

1 Like

It was doing the same thing for me on Windows 10. Whenever I used the right click context menu to edit values the program froze until I closed and opened the help window. What helped me was to run it in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Works like a charm now.