Mouse cursor jumps (OS X)

I found a bug in kicad. It occurs when you use OS X and activate full screen magnifier. The following is the steps to reproduce the bug.

1. go to ‘system preference - accessibility - zoom’ and enable full screen zoom
  2. open Eeschema
  3. click right button of your mouse and move cursor to somewhere. Then clock left button of the mouse.
    → At this point the mouse cursor comes back to the position where you opened menu by clicking right button.
  4. move mouse.
    → Then you will see that your mouse cursor doesn’t starts from the position where it was, but jumps.

This bug would not matter to most of people. But as a visually impaired person, I always use the full screen magnification. I would love to use kicad. But because of this bug I couldn’t use Kicad so far… It is quite painful to work with this bug.

Would there be any way to avoid this issue? It would be very very appreciated if you could give me an idea how to modify source code of the Kicad or if this is fixed in the future release.

This is a bug I have all the time (on macOS), it’s not exclusive to the screen magnifier. I just learned to work with it.

So in short: every time you close a menu, the mouse jumps back to the position it was when opening the menu right?

1 Like

yes. But real problem happens after that moment. When you move mouse again, then cursor jumps again to another point. Please look at the video. The problem I’m talking about happens only when you use magnifier. It’s hard to explain but the video would show that the cursor jumps two times.

I wonder if I could edit the source code and build it to remove the function which makes the cursor come back to the position where the menu was opened.

1 Like

A better option would be to support a global UI scaling parameter, which would make everything bigger. This would also help with various DPI resolution monitors.
From what I hear, the latest version (3.1) of wxWidgets (which KiCad uses for its GUI) actually supports resolution scaling, so it may be possible to get this implemented if KiCad could upgrade!

Thank you for the reply. But would it also make the toolbar bigger…?

It’s quite funny that this bug doesn’t happen when you waif for more than 2 seconds after closing the pop-up menu and before clicking mouse left button. Then the mouse cursor doesn’t come back to the position where the pop-up menu was opened.