Mouse central button use

Hello everybody,

This is my first post at the forum, so I don’t know if this is the right place to do so. Anyhow, I apologize in advance.

As far as I’ve tried, there’s no functionality in the central button of the mouse in kicad(or is just the same as the left button). A great functionality for it could be to mirror selected parts, for example. Even cooler would be to be able to choose the functionality of that button, but that probably gets even more complex.

Cheers!

Not sure if it is system/mouse driver specific, but on my system (KiCad 5.1.9 on Win 10) my middle button does a drag-pan. Similar to just about any other CAD program I use. Press and hold the middle button and moving the mouse around pans the view around (as if by pressing the button I “grabbed” the workspace).

As far as remapping what it does, some mouse drivers allow you to remap button presses to keystrokes. Also I think a more flexible and comprehensive shortcut editor is coming for KiCad v6, but I don’t know if mouse button remapping is part of it.

In V6 you can remap middle-drag to be pan, zoom, or nothing. You can’t map middle-click to an action (yet) but that has been suggested before and might be added in a future release after V6.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.