Mouse Bites in 5.1.x?

What happened to the mouse bites footprints in 5.1.0? I’m doing my first board where I need a small break-away section, and all the searching I did earlier lead me to believe there would be a at least a few mouse bites in the standard KiCAD library.

So, I can make my own, but I was at least going to use the pre-made footprints as a reference. For example, I don’t know how to make holes that are not for components… Maybe it will be obvious once I get in there.

I’m wondering (hoping) that KiCAD 5.1.x has a way to just drop drill-hits on the board without making a footprint, perhaps? If not, that’s fine, I’ll make a footprint.

Also, mouse bites seem to usually be in the context of people trying to panelize. I’m not interested in that at all. There are certainly many cases where a design is made modular (my case), or where having nested boards save space / money (an example I saw with concentric boards), etc.

So, any info on using mouse bites for purposes other than panelizing would be appreciated. Right now I’m going to follow the OSH Park guide here: https://docs.oshpark.com/tips+tricks/protosnap/

Thanks,
Matthew

1 Like

Didn’t even know they were called mouse bites. No such thing by the looks of it.
I simply make up my own as in 0.5 mm as NPTH, Mechanical without any masks.

1 Like

Yeah, I did not know they were called mouse bites either, until today. I figured out what you just said, i.e. make normal holes and set them to NPTH (which I assume means “non plated through hole”). Most of the forum posts and such I found were for earlier versions of KiCAD, and there even some screen shots of the library parts. Oh well, knowing how to make the holes correctly will let me make my own.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.