Modified symbol can't be updated

Hi,

I have two parts in my schematic, which are modified in the library. The ERC is telling me this, and normally this isn’t an issue. I can update the part via the update dialog with the following settings:

But if I run the ERC again, the issue is still there:

***** Sheet /SENT0/
[lib_symbol_issues]: Symbol 'AQY221R2V' has been modified in library '0_Relay_SolidState'.
    ; Severity: warning
    @(134.62 mm, 139.70 mm): Symbol U44 [AQY221R2V]
[lib_symbol_issues]: Symbol 'AQY221R2V' has been modified in library '0_Relay_SolidState'.
    @(219.71 mm, 62.23 mm): Symbol U47 [AQY221R2V]
    @(219.71 mm, 97.79 mm): Symbol U48 [AQY221R2V]

Even if I remove the symbol and add it again (with the same RefDes), the issue persists.

What can I try to update the symbols and get rid of these warnings?

1 Like

If I understand correctly, did you modify symbols in your own library after including them in your schematic? And now you want the symbols in your schematic to reflect the updates?

I do not know the solution to your problem. But I recommend that you next go to help>about>copy version info and post that version information into your next post. Answering my questions above and posting your version information will improve the chance of someone else responding with a better answer.

Here is my version, and I know that there is a newer one. I checked the closed issues for 6.0.1 and there is nothing which would change this. I had the same issue in 5.99, but can’t remember how I got rid of it.

If this is a bug, I will try to create an issue. Right now I think this is PEBKAC

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.5
	libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Dec 24 2021 19:17:02
	wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.76.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
	ngspice: 35
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

6.0.1 has fixed a lot of 6.0.0 problems.
Maybe upgrade and test before creating an issue?

If this is a bug, I will try to create an issue. Right now I think this is PEBKAC

Maybe you are not responsible, this could very well be a bug. Look at gitlab-issue #10783:

What can I try to update the symbols and get rid of these warnings?

• It seems it depends on the order in which the symbols are updated. So updating not all symbols at once but one after another (with different order) may help
  • Mostly it helps to set the “update all”-checkbox and run the update-tool multiple times. But this is not always possible if some symbols are intentially changed in the schematic
  • It helps definitely if I first delete all problematic symbols and after that replace with (same) new ones.
  • I think the problem is with different symbol-instances in the schematic.

I’ve been having the same issue and it has not helped to set the “update all”-checkbox. However, I’ve only tested one or two times, not multiple times. I haven’t yet had the time to run tests to determine steps to reproduce it, and I don’t have any projects which I can share, that’s why I haven’t reported it. I had to turn off that ERC.

Never mind. I tried to reproduce the problem now and made a screen recording to show it, but I wasn’t able to reproduce it. The problem I was having was probably fixed in one of the latest versions.

I have 26 AQY in my design in multiple sheets. When I tried to update the symbol, I must have found the magic sheet. The 5 AQY on this sheet and all other 21 are updated after I tried it again.

No idea why it works, maybe I was in a too deep hierarchical layer. Some functions seem to not work in layers deeper than 1.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.