Modern KiCad Desktop Icon

Spent the afternoon designing a more modern desktop icon for KiCad as I found the old one a bit outdated. Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

If you want to use it you can get the .icns file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhv4diucfortdk8/KiCad_logo_2.icns?dl=0

1 Like

Sorry. Doesn’t look like EDA related.

In what way is the current one outdated? Looks fine to me…:slight_smile:

It is EDA related because that’s an IC. I like it. Might be better to include the IC surrounded by copper traces.

That symbol would make me think of a FPGA VHDL tool or a 3D CAD application. Neither is correct

1 Like

Um, I don’t think it beats this poposal

3 Likes

That’s really good marcos! It’s clean, has a simple but striking design. Why has it not been adopted?

Its been discussed, and people more concerned about graphic design complained a bit.

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg28429.html

1 Like

Interesting objections but understandable. A good point raised was regarding the kerning. And it appears that “KiCad” is here to stay vs “KiCAD”.

I was just happy to see a design sans serif unlike the existing font :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh my, this has got to be the ultimate bike-shed topic!

3 Likes

The logo proposed above had only ever reached draft stage (which I thought I stated quite clearly in my original submission to the mailing list). However given the specific detailed objections it was clear that there was not much interest in changing it anyway. I did some further work on it but became a bit jaded with the whole thing.

Independent of altering the design, I would like to see the desktop icon changed to the “Ki” symbol, rather than using the eeschema icon? KiCad is more than just schematic layout.

3 Likes

The funny think about graphical icons is that they end up with text in them. In that case, why not just put “KiCad” in a box and not worry about it. The extra graphical embellishments add little of value and make it harder to read.

For my 2c, an icon is simply a visual mnemonic, it doesn’t really matter what it is. Although it is said a picture is worth a thousand words, representing concepts like “EDA package” in a 32x32 box isn’t that easy.

An icon only needs to be:
1 simple in design
2 distinctive

A blue triangle would do… the Linux icon is a penguin, that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with “Open Source OS”, but it is distinctive and memorable.

If we were to change the icon, which I don’t think we need to do, then the “Ki” icon used for this forum would get my vote.

3 Likes

Hey,

I’ve made another one that reminds of our '80s legacy still present in the GUI design :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was the feeling I got from the mailing list discussion. I personally feel the serif font is a bit dated but in general terms the Ki symbol looks nice

2 Likes

I rather like the transistor symbol next to the pad & trace. As a visual mnemonic it suggests KiCAD’s dual primary functions: schematic capture and PCB layout. Place a variant of the “Ki” beside it, and I’d call it finished.

Dale

I like the icon of the integrated circuit the OP posted.

I think the idea of using the K as transistor symbol is great.
And, I think the idea of using the pad and via for the “i” is great.

I think the shape proportions are a little bit off, but close.

I’d like to see someone stick these inside the current box icon, with the same existing color.

I think that would be a winner.