Missing Generate Netlist

I’m new to KiCad, apologies if its a stupid question but ive been stuck on this forever! My program doesnt have the netlist button at the top. Anytime ive tried to see why I dont have it just says “select generate netlist” which is a button i dont have. Did I not properly download all the software?

Help>About gives a button to copy information about your version and setup to the clipboard. Please paste that here. Basically without knowing what version and os we can only guess. :wink:

Update from might be what you are looking for for V6? I knew the method was updated but I thought the netlist was useful for other reasons?

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor

Version: (6.0.0-0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.64.1 (SecureTransport) LibreSSL/2.8.3 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: macOS Big Sur Version 11.6 (Build 20G165), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac

Build Info:
Date: Dec 24 2021 21:51:28
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.6.0
Curl: 7.64.1
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Clang 12.0.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I just installed it, so it should be the latest version on macOS. Basically I’m following a youtube tutorial for my very first design and it prompts me to “generate netlist” using the button that says “NET”. I don’t have that in the top toolbar. Sorry if it’s confusing, I couldn’t find my answer online so thought I’d check here

That video is old and that method of passing the netlist to the PCB editor has been obsolete for some time. Just use Update PCB from Schematic.

Generate Netlist is still somewhere for other use cases but you shouldn’t use it in your case.

2 Likes

It was very easy to change the schematic and forget to update the netlist, so now the workflow is direct from schematic to PCB

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.