"missing connection between items" between pads with same number

Hi, I have a problem with the DRC. If I have a component where some of its pads are internally connected, connecting only one of the pads gives me the missing connection error in DRC. The ratsnest line coming from the “unconnected” pad is also shown in the editor.

This is a small test example to demonstrate what I mean:

Footprints and associated schematic symbols are all from the official Kicad library.
Pad 2 on the right is already connected, but it wants me to also connect pad 2 on the left. I don’t want to do this, in a real layout I have tracks there.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? I’m using version 8.0.1.

It’s not a bug, it is by design and intentionally. If you don’t like it, then:

1. Hover over the footprint.
  2. Press [Ctrl + e] to load it in the footprint editor.
  3. Change the pin number of the pad you don’t want to connect to.
  4. Close the Footprint Editor (It will prompt to save back to the PCB on exit).

Edit:
I just noticed you don’t even have to load the footprint in the footprint editor. You can directly change pad numbers in the PCB editor.

1 Like

If you don’t want to connect pad 2 on the right then you need to edit the footprint and remove the number. (Or just ignore the error)

Pads with the same number have to be connected together to pass DRC.

1 Like

Thank you. It looks like when going through the PCB editor directly, the pad’s net name also has to be changed to <no net>.

From a design viewpoint, I always connect the two in clad. I also make the wide pad “Pin 4” to make this more straightforward.

For pins you absolutely don’t want to connect, you should mark that pin “no connect” in the schematic.