Migrating EasyEDA Footprint library crashes PCB Editor

Hi
I added a EasyEDA json file in Footprint Libraries. When I click “Migrate Libraries” button after selecting this json file, the PCB Editor crashes. It also create a folder with this file name and extention ".pretty but the folder is empty.
I am using KiCAD 8.

Can you share the file?

Here is the link to Github repository containing the imported file and the folder created when Migrate Library button is pressed. (Sorry I don’t know any easier method of sharing files in this forum).

Can you try 8.0.1, or the latest 8.0 testing build?

Works fine on Linux Mint + master

I am using KiCAD 8.0.1. i am on Windows 10

I am following the bellow sequence to import EasyEDA footprint:

1. Open EasyEDA Designer
  2. Click Library in left sidebar
  3. Search for the component using JLCPCB part no. or otherwise
  4. Double click the footprint image in rightside bar. This will open the component footprint window in main window area.
  5. Click File/Export/EasyEDA and save the file with your convenient name.
  6. Now open Preferences/Manage Footprint Libraries in PCB Editor.
  7. Open EasyEDA json file you saved earlier by clicking triangle besides folder Icon and selecting EasyEDA/JLCEDA Std/Pro (*json, *zip)
  8. After importing EasyEDA file, select it and click “Migrate libraries” button in Footprint Libraries window. This will save it in *.pretty format native to KiCAD.
  9. Delete the .json file from Footprint Libraries.
  10. Click folder Icon and select folder named after the imported footprint file.
  11. It should be imported into Footprint library editor (But its not presently in KiCAD 8.0.1 ).

I think this is fixed in

Please try the 8.0 testing builds: Downloads | KiCad EDA

Ok thanks. Will it be fixed in 8.0.1 sometime in the near future?

Nowdays Kicad has three different versions.

8.0.1 is already out. You may wish to try that.

Currently the 8.0 testing builds (8.0.1 testing builds) will eventually become 8.0.2, probably in about four weeks. These 8.0 testing builds are all bug fixes only and are compatible with 8.0.0

The above 8.0.1 and 8.0.1 testing builds should not be confused with the 8.99 “nightly” development builds which will eventually become 9.0.0
Avoid 8.99 for any serious work as this is not compatible with 8.x.x

If you try 8.0.1 or 8.0.1 testing and this solves your problem, please comment in this thread with your full version.
Full version can be found in Help > About Kicad > Top RH corner click “copy”, then just use paste into a forum reply.

OK thanks, I will try 8.0 testing builds and post the results. I hope it can be installed side by side with 8.0.1 which I am currently using.

I’m not sure with Windows.

If the testing installs over 8.0.1, then 8.0.2 will install over the testing. Everything will remain compatible.

I installed the version bellow and tested importing and migrating EasyEDA Footprint library with the steps mentioned in my above post and it went smoothly without any error :+1: :+1:

The version used:

Application: KiCad x64 on x64
Version: 8.0.1-84-g92ffd898f5, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.4
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 8.3.0
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.5.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.3

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Mar 29 2024 04:22:31
wxWidgets: 3.2.4 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.83.0
OCC: 7.7.1
Curl: 8.5.0-DEV
ngspice: 42
Compiler: Visual C++ 1936 without C++ ABI

Build settings:

3 Likes