Migrate global libraries using export and import from Kicad 7 to 8

Having symbol/fp and model libraries in a custom folder.
They all have a custom path substitute
Current projects all are Kicad 7.

Wanted use/test Kicad 8 on another PC with these libraries
Assume could do the following:

1. copy all symbol/fp and model files to the new PC
  2. select the libraries in the manage footprint/symbols library
  3. export the list of library definitions to a CSV file
  4. Import the CSV on the other PC
  5. Add the path substitutes to Kicad on the new PC.
    Guess this would be quick and easy, but it seems not possible to export and import those library lists?
    or is there another easier way?

It would be nice to have such import/export function on the right click menu in the list.

1 Like

Not to my knowledge.
Every major upgrade requires the installation of Personal Libraries.

I add ten new rows at a time then click on the path and use the folder icon. The first library path needs to be navigated to, but after that, clicking on further folders brings up the personal library list, so it is just “click away” for a couple of minutes.
I also name each personal library the same as the Nickname, so I only have to copy paste that name from the path to the nickname column instead of typing. Saves checking for errors later.

Thanks, yes I also name them the same way… got 100 for each so that’s 200 copy and pastes… CSV in and export would be heaven… that should be easy to code… Well … gonna have to be a feature request then…

I use a very OS specific shortcut by working on the tables which are text files: Ver 7 to 8 file libraries copy - #3 by retiredfeline

In the past I have suggested that the user entries be kept separate from the system ones but then you couldn’t be assured that the user ones will be on top without some editing. But perhaps reworking the list displayed could work. It could look like this:

--- User ---
user lib1
user lib2
--- System ---
Audio_Modules

Your poor mouse. :cry:
I thought my poor mouse was hard done by with 60 libraries to move.

Excellent, thanks a lot. I’ll try to use those s-expression files and copy them to 8.0.
Copied the 7.0 ./config/kicad/fp and sym files t o 8.0 and all is working. Done :slight_smile: