Middle mouse button panning suddenly stopped working

Hey guys,

hope this is the right category.
However I am heavily using the mouse wheel click button feature to pan around my schematics.
For some reason it suddenly stopped working while I was designing a schematic.
I already restarted KiCad 5.1.2-1 and also my Computer (which is a Mac running Mojave).

Could not find any related setting in the preferences.
Does anybody know what is going on here?

Thanks!

Enable “Warp and Zoom” and hate it for a while; just long enough till you hate it even more that it is not a feature in other software.

You could try to reset the kicad settings. Meaning rename your personal kicad config directory to something else (to keep the backup) and then start kicad. If this fixes the pan per middle click problem then it is a settings problem. If not then it is something else. Your config directory is found in your home directory + /Library/Preferences/kicad.

If it does not fix anything then restore the backup. If it does run a diff over the setting files. Maybe this will give you a hint about what changed.

I never use the pan feature of KiCad.
Instead I find zooming out with the scrollwheel (no buttons pushed), to get an overview and then zooming in on the next area of interest faster and more comfortable.

Panning using a trackpad is a very intuitive and productive navigation feature - two fingers to pan in any direction and then pinch or stretch to zoom in or out. I often plug my MacBook into my 27" iMac and use it as a second screen as I like the laptop trackpad function so much. [ Might even put a trackpad on my list for the iMac! ].

I don’t know if a trackpad is the best tool. When I was in college and taking AutoCad courses the computers had tablets with a hardwired stylus; which I think worked better then a mouse at that time.

However, with KiCad, it seems hard to beat a good quality wireless 3 button mouse with middle scroll wheel.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.