Micro via(Blind & Buried Via)

Dear KiCad users,
I’m currently working KiCad v5.1, in this the microvia(Blind & Buried Via) is not enabled.How to enable and use this feature in my design.could anyone help me to solve the problem.

File->Board Setup->Design Rules

1 Like

Make sure the fab you want to use supports micro vias or buried vias. And also check if you are willing to pay the increased price tag of such a production.

1 Like

Thank you eelik for helping me

1 Like

We are beginner to learn KiCad, so we need to know each and every tools in it, then how to use it for an application.

Add to the list of questions foy your PCB fab:
Micro vias - restrictions on board thickness?
Blind vias - which layers can they be between?

1 Like

1.6mm thickness board
4 layer
We are beginner to learn KiCad, so we need to know each and every tools in it, then how to use it for an application.

You do not really need to know every tool. You need to know enough tools such that you can get to your target. Knowing additional tools will allow you to improve your efficiency later on or expand the applications you can do.

And in this case the missing knowledge does not seem to be with KiCad. But with PCB manufacturing processes and the tradeoffs of certain options.

Blind and Micro vias are quite specialized tools that allow you to miniaturize a system or allow you to work with high density packages like a BGA at the expense of having a way more expensive process.

And to be honest a 4 layer board does not really benefit from these more expensive options. (I am not even sure fabs offer them for such a low layer count)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.