Manual annotation erased?

i am using a hierarchial drawing, Root with 2 sub-sheets that i wanted to trace the circuits of an existing board. So i drew up the circuits and manually labelled the reference designators for all the components, which was a lot of work but necessary for troubleshooting the circuit. It seems that something erased all my annotations back to default, R? Q?, C? etc.

What happened and how can i turn this off and save it the way i want?

I am pretty sure the saving in sheets is per sheet. So did you save that subsheet or just the main sheet?

Thank you for your help.

i saved just the current sheet in which i was working. i also tried saving schematic project. whenever i left the sheet and then clicked back in–the references were gone.

i manually reloaded all the references again, saved the sheet, left the sheet, clicked back in from the main and they were gone.

i tried manually setting just one field instead of everything, saved, left out and returned–and the single change was not kept.

So it appears that Something about “save current sheet” is messing with my fields.

On this project i don’t need a pcb or anything fancy–just wanted to document the circuit that’s on the board to help with troubleshooting and repair.

i’m going to add a new hier sheet to the main, then try to copy and paste the block to this new sheet and try to redo the references and see if that works. Didn’t work.

Is there a setting for annotation to turn off automatic and keep the manual? i feel like this thing is really fighting me

So i closed kicad, re-opened and created a new project in a new folder. At the root schematic added a hierarchial sheet, clicked in, drew a simple circuit and labelled the resistors and transistors, saved just this sheet, left sheet back to root, clicked into sheet and it was reset to R? Q? etc.

So something is broken. i’ve never experienced this sort of junk where a “save” resets my work.

i’m open to suggestions, this is very frustrating

Guess we should start with the basics so I can see why, What version of Kicad, and on what operating system?

1 Like

just to make sure… this sounds like while the program is running - leaving and reentering a hierarchical sheet - and symbol labels are reset?
OR does the program keep them as long as it’s running?

What kind of folder are you using for saving the project?

i’m using a macbook pro running OSX 10.11.6, the KiCad is version 4.0.3.

KiCad created a separate folder for the project when i selected “new” project. There were two options and i just used the top one, the bottom one was create from template. The created folder was not in the program or application folder, but within a general folder on my data drive.

This is occurring while the program is running and simply leaving and re-enter the hierarchial sheet.

There was a bug in 4.0.3 regarding exactly this problem https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1572812

It is fixed in 4.0.4 or later.

2 Likes

There were several critical bugs fixed between 4.0.3 and 4.0.7 and there is no sensible reason not to upgrade.

2 Likes

Thanks yall for the help, you are right about this bug–it is exactly my problem. i had made a search on the forum but didn’t use the terms of the bug report title and nothing came up. i’m glad to find an answer because i really enjoyed using KiCad when it was working properly. i’ll upgrade and give it another try.

1 Like

I guessed that such a problem would be a major bug, so I looked in the release notes for 4.0.4 and it popped out.

Just a note on upgrading, the libraries change a lot, so if you install a new version with libraries, there may/will be some incompatibilities depending on how big a jump in version you make. If you are generally happy with 4.0.3 and don’t want to take a risk 4.0.4 might be a good upgrade. Upgrading to v5rc2 is quite a leap, I would only suggest that if you are confident about tackling upgrade issues, or don’t plan on maintaining a lot of pre-v5 projects.

1 Like

Thank you Bob, i upgraded to 4.0.7 and used the merge option when the program installation dialog box opened. Then i ran KiCad and was able to pull up the schematics, manually set the reference fields and save the sheet. Then leave sheet and re-enter, and everything was intact, no more reverting to R?, etc. So it seems to be working properly now. Many thanks to all for help with my problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.