Manipulating and inspecting nets : feature request

please as a suggestion

instead of having, or even adding an alternative way to observe the net classes.
it is currently under ‘board setup’

maybe under…TOOLS? please. took forever to find
kicad 8.99, master branch

also found a quirk where i first had to EXPORT net list from schematic, then an option was suddenly available to me, in pcb editor: IMPORT NET list.
kudos to a reddit user who mentioned this.

I do not understand why net classes should be under “tools”. It is a set of rules, and those rules may be different for different PCB’s. “Board Setup” is the right place in my mind.

Export & import of a netlist is also mostly deprecated for quite a lot of years now. I think Schematic Editor / Tools / Update PCB from Schematic [F8] was introduced in KiCad V5. Working directly with the netlist is mostly maintained for “unusual” workflows.

Going through Getting Started in KiCad | 8.0 | English | Documentation | KiCad would have been useful.

1 Like

sorry, i didn’t mean to be like that, i was just relieved after the frustration.
i see board setup can be quickly accessed from the menu bar up top. thats good enough.

update pcb from schematic, or vice-versa, update schematic from pcb seems to do things all at once, ill read the documentation to maybe find a way to fine-grain it.

thank you so much for a wonderful, full-featured program.

1 Like

It’s relatively common for beginners to be enthusiastic about KiCad and having a whole list of ideas to improve KiCad. It’s also common that a lot of those idea’s are already implemented in KiCad (but in a bit different way) or are already known and are are on gitlab as feature requests. Other ideas do not fit into the intended workflow of KiCad and won’t get implemented. Give yourself some more time. Read documentation or tutorials. Or just try out menu options to experiment with what you can do with them. And look them up in the manual when you get stuck. It’s less “effective” then just reading the manual, but it’s also “less boring”

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.