Making a symbol for a18LF4520 (Naming conflict)

Hi,
I am using 18LF4520 PICs, but they don’t appear to be in the library. If I edit a 18LF4550 I get a message saying this will interfere with other modules in this library.
What’s the best way to go please?
Camerart.

HI Camerart,

If you based your footprint on one that already existed, there are probably left-over “alias” components listed in your 18LF4520 footprint. Setting aliases is a way in KiCAD to make one footprint for several components. For example, most 8-pin opamps have the same pinout, so you can make one footprint and assign it to the TL072, TL082, NE5532 etc.

To check this, go to the component properties and select the alias tab, remove the additional components types listed there.

Regards,
Niels.

Hi Niels,
I’m drawing a schematic, and I don’t have 18LF4520 in the library, but I do have 18F452, which has the same pins, but some of them have slightly different uses on each pin. If I edit an 18f452 to make an 18LF4520, then I get this error. should i simply press on and edit it?
C.

Why don’t you just save the new component (18LF4520) with a new name into a different library?

I learnt a lot about making symbols and footprints by modifying the existing ones. Now that I know how to make my symbols from scratch I still start from my existing symbols.

I edited the title. Should make more sense now.

Hi R,
Ok, with the title, but there are two choices editing or making. In this case I want to edit and existing component, with a few changes to make the one I want, rather than make a new one.
C.

I did not add the word Making to the itle. (I changed footprint to symbol and added the stuff about naming conflict.)
You can click the orange pen next to your first post to see the history yourself.

Hi P,
Is it possible to save it in the same library, so I can find it again?
C.

Of course it is. But before final save you have to check the properties if there any aliases. If any - just remove them, rename part by edit Value field and finally commit to library and save file.
Don’t save part without aliases under old name. This way these aliases “gone forever”.

Hi K,
Learning Kicad is not easy for me so the fewer words relating to it the better for me. I don’t even know what an alias is!
Is it possible to simply edit or make a component, place it in the same library and never know what an alias means?

On another forum, I was asking about the shape of schematic components and why they have such an odd numbering system. One reply said that I could make components in what shape suits me, and being slightly dyslexic, I am going to make them in the same shape as the PCB components, so it looks neater and easier to wire.
C.

Hi R,
Apologies. I’m easily confused!
It appears that I need to MAKE new symbols for my last mentioned method.
Thanks.
C.

It was explained above by trcwm. Please, read all the comments that are trying to help you.

An alias is a different name for the same symbol. Many components share the symbol, so why make 2 identical symbols?

keruseykaryu tells you to delete the aliases of the new symbol because if you don’t, there will be a conflict with the names.

Yes, just make sure it has a new name. But I recommended a new library because some day you will update your libraries from internet and your changes will be lost.

2 Likes

Hi P,
I do read all of the comments, but find it so confusing if I try to remember all of them, so I filter down to a few to remember.
From what I understand regarding Trcwms comments, I would always make another component so each have there own ‘the same’ footprint, or in some cases the same component from a different manufacturer has different pinouts.
Regarding Libraries! you mention updating, and mine would be lost, so I do need to make a separate library, with a note to remind me why it’s been done. This is what I used to do, but they got in a tangle. The new system is much better.

The component I need to make needs to have an 11pin straight connector on each side, so during this exchange I’ve decided to make one in the same shape as the PCB component for a test PCB.
Thanks for your patience.
C.

1 Like

Hi,
I tried making a new library, but failed, even though I did it before a few years ago.

What I did was to change the existing 18LF452 in the normal library, then copied the whole library into another folder, in case it gets updated. This wasn’t easy, as I’ve been doing it all morning. Anyway i’ve now got a schematic component that looks like the PCB one, for me much clearer. (I may have to do it again if I loose it:(
C.

When you go to save the new part you should have the option to save it to a new library. Give it a name like “My_Library”. You then must add that library to the others with the wizard.

Or if he wants to add it to an existing lib. He first needs to select this other lib as active and use the normal update current symbol in active lib button to save it in there. (followed by a save lib to disk)

And very important: if he does create a new lib your way, he needs to add it to the project via the preferences->component libraries dialog.

Hi R and H,
As mentioned I made a new shaped SCH component onto my schematic.
This morning, I tried again to get to the bottom of where my library is, but even though I found my new component, couldn’t clearly tell how I got it there.
Rene, in your answer you said “if he does create a new lib your way” I think this is the problem! There should only be one way, which is the best way, chosen by most users, and ‘for me’ get rid of all of the extra buttons and choices if possible please. At one time during my library struggle, I came across one page with three button that do the same thing.
I have perhaps ten menu driven items in my life and the ones I like don’t need instructions to work them, only logic.
I’ll keep trying :slight_smile:
C.

Sorry for the confusion. From within kicad there is only one way. (The way described by @hermit)
There are a lot of ways to do it outside of kicad though. (But again adding the lib to the project must be done as i described. And yes this will get easier with kicad v5 because it will use a similar system to the current system used for footprint libs. Namely a global library table.)

Hi R,
That’s ok. I understand that the developers have joined programs together, and this isn’t easy.
To clarify: Within Kicad, to make a new ‘MY’ library that won’t be lost by updates, I follow w@hermit’s way. Then if I make or modify another SCH component, will I be able to save it in this library?
While trying, I came across the ‘make new MOD’ wizard, excellent!
C.

Yes. Simply set your personal lib as the active lib before pressing the “update component in library” button.
And do not forget to press the save lib to disk button afterwards.

1 Like