Magnetic pads - always? Snap to center of a pad? (nightlies)

What should “Magnetic Pads” - “Always” in Genral Settings do? Does it work in the nightly builds? If it works as intented, its meaning is not intuitive. I’m trying to find a way to snap to center of pads for taking measurements. Snapping to center of pad works when routing, but I don’t find a way to snap “always” because that option doesn’t work as I think it should work. It’s seems to be impossible to go to the center of a pad without resorting to some tedious workaround.

@eelik “magnetic pads - always” works perfectly in legacy. It doesn’t work in Modern F11 or F12.

Legacy:
magnetic pads “Always” works with any tool, not only Route tracks.
magnetic pads “When creating tracks” works only when the tool “Route tracks” is selected.

Modern:
magnetic pads works only with Route tracks tool, no matter if is set to “Always” or “When creating tracks”.

The workaround is horrible. I use the Route tracks tool to snap the center of the pad, click the space bar and then with another tool I put the cursor on the (0,0) manually, carefully and with a very small grid.

So this seems to be a bug. Thanks.

It would be feasible to switch to legacy, go to pad center, hit space bar (to set the relative 0,0) and go back to modern. But alas, the user zero point is reset between canvas switches!

Reported: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1766547

Maybe is due to the cursor behaviour.

In legacy, the cursor snaps to grid points. Let’s say the digital way.
In Modern, the cursor moves smoothly from point to point, the analog way. The value seen at X,Y in the bottom bar changes “digitally” at half way between 2 grid points.

See also https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1759044

Select/query of any pad, reports the XY cord, and you can copy that.

There is also a new measurement tool, perhaps that needs an added optional snap-to-selected, or similar, to allow easier entity to entity measurements ?
Right now this tool look to be a simple mouse-vernier. Easy to use, but not precise.

Well, I wrote “without resorting to some tedious workaround”. But I forgot to tell here that one of the bugs is fixed now and it’s possible to snap into the center of a pad in the routing mode and set the zero point with the space bar. Setting that “user origin” didn’t work earlier.

It looks like the magnetic pads/tracks algorithm never got moved to the modern toolset (just the router).

It’s probably a bit too risky to move it for 5.0, but I will at least patch the measurement tool to use it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.