Lost Two Ratsnests

Rat1

I did something that caused me to lose two ratsnests (J12 and J13) on my PCB.
Passed ERC and DRC with zero faults or errors so now I’m wondering what I did?

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,
Dan

Do you mean the ratsnest line between R9 and JP13 pin 1 and the line between JP13 pin 1 & 2?

It is difficult to pass the DRC with no errors when no tracks are on the board.

I see that the second pic isn’t perfectly clear but J13 is supposed to be, and was until I did something wrong, connected to R9. J12 is also supposed to have a connection to R10.

To repeat myself. They were connected properly until I changed some that I’ve now lost track of.

Regards,
Dan

I’m having difficulty reading the JP numbers, but it seems JP13 has been deleted.

To lose a ratsnest line, one of three things must have occurred. Either you changed the schematic by removing a wire and then updated the schematic to the PCB, you placed a track (which will remove a ratline) or you deleted a footprint (JP13).

I changed all my JP’s (except for two) to a different symbol and footprint. They are properly annotated. They show perfectly in the Footprint Assignment Tool and zero errors or faults on the ERC. After saving the schematic changes they all perfectly migrated to the PCB except for J12 and J13.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for clarifying your problem.

After you made the changes in the schematic you:

Opened Tools, selected “Annotate schematic” then clicked annotate and all was well.

Next, you opened tools again and selected “Update PCB from Schematic”, then clicked Update PCB and JP12 & JP13 didn’t migrate?

Yes. And no ERC or DRC errors.

Regards,
Dan

Are your new footprints for JP12 & 13 in a Kicad or personal library with the same ID used in your footprint value of your symbol properties?

If you can upload your project that will save a lot of back and forth, I think. You can make an archive in the project manager.

Also please include your version info (Help → About → Copy Version Info)

3 Likes

SIT Main Power Supply-2023-11-07_201305.zip (214.9 KB)
Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: (7.0.0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 5.0.1
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.83.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 12 2023 01:35:19
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.80.0
OCC: 7.6.2
Curl: 7.83.1-DEV
ngspice: 39
Compiler: Visual C++ 1934 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Independent of this topic, do upgrade to the latest 7.0.8. Many bugs have been fixed. There should be no change in configuration within a series like 7.0.x.

U can try to add it again to schematic

Or try to update the same symbol from library

There is nothing wrong with JP13. I guess the ratsnest does not show because the “closest” ratsnest line is to another pin of the same footprint, and it does not make much sense to show that. When you just start routing a track from a pin of the connector, then it does show a ratsnest line during routing (this may be dependent on settings).

And also, as retiredfeline also wrote. Update to the current KiCad version. Increments in the third number are bug fixes, and V7.0.0 was quite buggy. There have been hundreds of bugs squashed between your V7.0.0 and the current V7.0.8. On average about 70 bugs get fixed each month, and the bug fix releases are also made approximately once a month. But if you use KiCad for work and to earn money (sandwitches and such), It may be better to wait a few days (not weeks!) before updating, because sometimes *&^%$#@! happens, and if so, it takes a few days to get noticed and fixed.

The missing nets are hidden in the net appearance box over on the right side of the screen

4 Likes

Yup

3 Likes

That was a lot easier than playing 20 questions, thanks for the suggestion to the OP, @gkeeth .

1 Like

Many thanks for all the responses. Everytime I post something here I learn something interesting!

Regards,
Dan

1 Like

NetOff
NetOn
Found the problem! Somehow, don’t ask me how, the display of the positive netclass was turned off!
The ratsnests were there. Just not visible.

Very happy now!

Regards,
Dan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.