Lost symbols (and can't load or see more) after update v7->8.0

I just updated to KiCAD v8.0 on Windows 10. After installing I can no longer access a symbol folder I had in Global that I was using for a project with version 7. The symbols (mostly) no longer even show up in my v7.0 installation if I try to go back to it. I can’t see them in my V8.0 installation.

Stranger still I don’t even have the ability to add them again. From the symbol editor if I try to import a symbol KiCAD can’t see the file (with either my V7 install or 8). I’ve even tried changing the symbol name/selecting it from a different folder but KiCAD 8.0 will not show me the file in the explorer. If I try to open the file from Windows Explorer (it has the KiCAD blue file icon as the files are associated with KiCAD) I get an error File ‘C:[the path]’ does not appear to be a valid KiCad project file.

I’m at a bit of a loss. I can’t work in 7.0 as somehow I nuked that with the 8.0 installation. The 8.0 installation won’t show me the symbols from my folder. I can’t add new symbols even if I rename the files and select from different folders.

Have you added the library with your symbols to the Library List:

Preferences > Symbol Libraries > Global Libraries. Click on the “Add existing Library” icon at the bottom of the list and then go and find the library in your computer.

1 Like

Yeah that worked. I thought I’d done it but I think perhaps I was selecting entire folders instead of the symbol library. Thanks, I wouldn’t have figured that out on my own as I’d already written it off after trying to do it incorrectly.

2 Likes

I have the same problem, but I cant find the menu Preferences > Symbol Libraries > Global Libraries. Where is that menu ?? Under Preferences I see Manage Symbol Libraries, whch does not lead to it, and I see Preferences , which doesnt lead to it.

It is here . . .

click Manage Symbol Libraries (V7 shown) and you get something like this . . .

click the + to add.

OK, thanks. I misunderstood the answer given, I knew about adding symbols this way. I thought there was some way to restore all the global symbols I had before, rather than have to add them one at a time.