Loss of hover-over functions

Firstly I love KiCad, big time. In the latest overnight releases I have noticed featured disappearing, and find that sad as not one has to use a lot more key, or double key presses to achieve the same simple functions. Examples. Eeschema and : Pcbnew

• Used to be able to hover over and use the C, Del, R keys. Now you have to ‘select’ a component first, and for example then click Ctrl+C. That is time consuming, and not great for RSSI!
  • Hover over a portion of a track, and then use Del, and the whole branch of tracks to the next component would be deleted (Not the whole net) - really handy feature, but now gone.
    There are a few others too…
    M

Try to compile off of the master branch. It works there as expected.

i think he means the master branch because that’s how it works. Many hotkeys and shortcuts have been changed. I recommend reading throught the list in Hotkeys in Preferences.

See this dev mailing list thread for explanation: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg42077.html.

1 Like

Which version are you using? I just tested the v6 development release and you don’t have to click to activate commands such as rotate, delete, etc. Copy/cut requires selection, but if you want to duplicate a symbol without clicking on it, use the duplicate tool not the copy/paste tool. As @eelik mentioned, look in the hotkey list and see what is available, a lot of tools are now there in v6 (especially in Eeschema) but without a key assignment.

The second behavior you reported sounds like this existing bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1688074

1 Like

Yes, I am growing fond of kicad too.
Dunno what you mean by RSS.

Thanks for all your replies. RSI (or Repetitive Strain Injury ) is a descriptive term for an overuse injury . Occupational Overuse Syndrome (OOS).
Any extra clicks are wasted for me, unnecessary I feel…
I’m using overnight build Version: (5.99.0-58-gd4aa502be), release build, and update regularly.
The deleting issue only introduced recently, in the last few weeks I believe.
I will look up the latest shortcuts, thanks for that it could be my issue if so,…
I appreciate all your replies too. Thanks for now, Michael (In New Zealand)

You might consider a fresh build.

As of this post we are at version: (5.99.0-115-gca109f066)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.